Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Camilla Haase <ca...@oracle.com> on 2014/09/12 19:21:23 UTC

Please contribute to the Derby documentation

Hi, all,

I've been working on the Derby user manuals for quite a few years now,
but my project assignments have been changing and I won't have time to
spend on Derby in the future. New features will continue to be
documented, but staffing for fixing bugs will not be available.
Therefore, I would like to invite other Derby developers to help with
fixing documentation issues.

I've spent the past few days weeding out these issues so that the ones
left are all legitimate (I think), though not all solvable at present --
some depend on a software fix, others on updating our tools.

Instructions on how to work with the documentation are on the Derby web
site (http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html) under "DITA Source"
and "Writing Guidelines." They are mostly current, though there's an
issue requesting some updates
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5182).

A number of you have worked with the documentation before, and I will be
happy to answer questions from any of you, whether you're new to the
docs or just a bit rusty. I know you're all committed to maintaining the
quality of the manuals, so I hope we can preserve it.

Thanks very much!

Kim Haase

Re: Please contribute to the Derby documentation

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
Kim,

Thank you for all the work you've done on addressing old issues in the
Derby documentation over the years!

Myrna

Posted by Kristian Waagan <kr...@apache.org>.
Den 19.09.14 16:03, skrev Camilla Haase:
> Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I have really enjoyed working
> on this project over the years and am finding it hard to disengage! I
> am staying on the mailing lists and am still a committer, so I will be
> monitoring doc issues in my spare time when I can.

Hi Kim,

Thank you for your great contributions, and all the best in whatever
comes next!

Kind regards from a "list lurker",
--
Kristian

Posted by Camilla Haase <ca...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <kn...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Dyre Tjeldvoll <Dy...@oracle.com>.
Indeed. Lately I have also had the chance to study the documentation of
another leading database which I won't name, and that really has made me
appreciate the quality of the Derby docs. Thank you Kim :)

On 09/18/2014 08:52 PM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Hi Kim,
>
> What Dag and Myrna said. For the past several years, you have served as
> editor-in-chief for the Derby docs. You have applied a simple,
> consistent style-sheet which has made the docs much easier to
> understand. I hope you'll be able to check in from time to time to make
> sure that we don't mess up your good work.
>
> Thanks and best wishes for your next gig!
>
> Cheers,
> -Rick
>
> On 9/18/14 9:14 AM, Dag H. Wanvik wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks you so much for you hard and dedicated work, Kim. Your
>> attention to detail as well
>> as timely initiatives and vision for improving the docs has resulted
>> in a substantially improved set of documentation for the benefit of
>> all Derby users. And the devs, too :) It's been a pleasure cooperating
>> with you. Good luck with your new endeavours!
>>
>> Dag
>>
>> On 12. sep. 2014 19:21, Camilla Haase wrote:
>>> Hi, all,
>>>
>>> I've been working on the Derby user manuals for quite a few years
>>> now, but my project assignments have been changing and I won't have
>>> time to spend on Derby in the future. New features will continue to
>>> be documented, but staffing for fixing bugs will not be available.
>>> Therefore, I would like to invite other Derby developers to help with
>>> fixing documentation issues.
>>>
>>> I've spent the past few days weeding out these issues so that the
>>> ones left are all legitimate (I think), though not all solvable at
>>> present -- some depend on a software fix, others on updating our tools.
>>>
>>> Instructions on how to work with the documentation are on the Derby
>>> web site (http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html) under "DITA
>>> Source" and "Writing Guidelines." They are mostly current, though
>>> there's an issue requesting some updates
>>> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5182).
>>>
>>> A number of you have worked with the documentation before, and I will
>>> be happy to answer questions from any of you, whether you're new to
>>> the docs or just a bit rusty. I know you're all committed to
>>> maintaining the quality of the manuals, so I hope we can preserve it.
>>>
>>> Thanks very much!
>>>
>>> Kim Haase

Dyre

Re: Please contribute to the Derby documentation

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
Hi Kim,

Posted by "Dag H. Wanvik" <da...@oracle.com>.
Hi,