Posted to users@rocketmq.apache.org by stevenschew <st...@apache.org> on 2017/03/31 07:59:48 UTC

[Big Data] RocketMQ community-Master election

Hi, every guy, this message is mainly used for election master, mainly
contains four projects(Beam, Flink, Storm, Spark), each project needs 1-2
master, everyone who participate in the campaign master need to provide
personal profile in this mail, and the rest of guys can elect each master
in this mail.

master election for example:
Name:***
Company:***
Experience:*********(Brief introduction to the field of work experience )
Vote:**** (Bean or Flink or Storm or Spark)

And vote for example:

+1  Name:***

The main discussion of the activities of the form used in the user list,
actively subscribe to it
users-subscribe@rocketmq.incubator.apache.org

Re: [Big Data] RocketMQ community-Master election

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> As I known, the 'master' here mainly means one of the github project member roles, others are  'guest' 'reporter' 'develop'. The one who was elected as 'master' will be granted master privileges to the project, here is the 'Big Data' project. Then the 'master' could be easily manage the code repo.

This seems far too hierarchical to me. Apache has a flat structure on purpose, no one is in charge and people are given more responsibility based on merit as they contribution to the project. I’d suggest you give everyone equal access or perhaps give committer/PPMC member master access.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [Big Data] RocketMQ community-Master election

Posted by Von Gosling <vo...@apache.org>.
Lovely guys,

I think I must stand up and make clear about this Hackathon. As I have pointed out in our proposal discussion stage. Since RocketMQ opened its source in Github, over 100+(According to incomplete statistics) companies outside Alibaba Group have adopted or made secondary development in their production environment. So that’s the Hackathon goal. We hope more guys around the word can join us, creating a new ecosystem projects or make a secondary development based on RocketMQ. Also, I believed under the guidance of the Apache’s code of conduct and Apache way[2][3](collaborative software development,commercial-friendly standard license,consistently high quality software,respectful, honest, technical-based interaction,faithful implementation of standards,security as a mandatory feature).Apache RocketMQ community will become more healthy, more active, more mature :-)

As for master role. IMO, this is a service role for every project, similar to SCRUM’s master. we consider it as a product manager, product architect, product organizer. As we know, the first Hackathon has bring some guys, they are all active in RocketMQ community and familiar with apache way and apache code of conduct. Why ? We must thanks the backend mentors in the first Hackathon. As well, wei zhou and dongforever are willing to be the second Hackathon’s mentors, they will help those active contributors to be familiar with Apache.

But, may be, we have made a mistake for Hackathon’s rewards, committers are voted within PPMC. So, we must remove this item :-)

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/policies/conduct <https://www.apache.org/foundation/policies/conduct>
[2]https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html <https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html>
[3] https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html <https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html>

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by wei zhou <zh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by dongeforever <10...@qq.com>.
As I known, the 'master' here mainly means one of the github project member roles, others are  'guest' 'reporter' 'develop'. The one who was elected as 'master' will be granted master privileges to the project, here is the 'Big Data' project. Then the 'master' could be easily manage the code repo.

Regards
dongeforever

From:  "Justin Mclean";<ju...@classsoftware.com>;
Date:  Sun, Apr 2, 2017 09:56 AM
To:  "dev"<de...@rocketmq.incubator.apache.org>;

Subject:  Re: [Big Data] RocketMQ community-Master election

Hi,

Can you please explain what is going on here, as it’s not clear what is going on to me.

What  / who is an "master” and what is their role?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [Big Data] RocketMQ community-Master election