Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Trevisson Cristina <cr...@nsn.com> on 2008/05/19 16:15:45 UTC

About commons codec ver 1.1 and export control rules

Dear All,

Would you be so kind to help me in answering the following question ?
Does "common codec ver 1.1" contain "symmetric cryptographic algorithms
employing a key length in excess of 56 bits or an asymmetric algorithm"
?
In general is there any document that gives the export control
classification for Commons Codec ?

Many thanks in advance for your help,
Cristina

Re: About commons codec ver 1.1 and export control rules

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Niall Pemberton
<ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Trevisson Cristina
> <cr...@nsn.com> wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Would you be so kind to help me in answering the following question ?
>> Does "common codec ver 1.1" contain "symmetric cryptographic algorithms
>> employing a key length in excess of 56 bits or an asymmetric algorithm"
>> ?
>> In general is there any document that gives the export control
>> classification for Commons Codec ?
>
> There is documentation on this for the whole ASF here:
>
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/
>
> Theres an "Apache Commons" section - and as Codec is not listed there
> then AFAIK that means there is no cryptographic functionality in
> Codec.

Right - Codec has wrapper code for one way hash algorithms (sha1/md5
digests), but not to encryption algorithms.

Hen

Re: About commons codec ver 1.1 and export control rules

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
<cr...@nsn.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Would you be so kind to help me in answering the following question ?
> Does "common codec ver 1.1" contain "symmetric cryptographic algorithms
> employing a key length in excess of 56 bits or an asymmetric algorithm"
> ?
> In general is there any document that gives the export control
> classification for Commons Codec ?

There is documentation on this for the whole ASF here:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/

Theres an "Apache Commons" section - and as Codec is not listed there
then AFAIK that means there is no cryptographic functionality in
Codec.

Niall

Niall