Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Praveen Patnala <pp...@hotmail.com> on 2009/04/21 21:14:57 UTC

Issues with retrieving HDFS directory contents in Java

Resending the query with a different subject -

Was : FileSystem.listStatus() doesn't return list of files in hdfs directory‏ I have a single-node hadoop cluster. The hadoop version -
[patnala@ac4-dev-ims-211]~/dev/hadoop/hadoop-0.19.1% hadoop version
Hadoop 0.19.1
Subversion https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/core/branches/branch-0.19 -r 745977
Compiled by ndaley on Fri Feb 20 00:16:34 UTC 2009

Following is my hadoop-site.xml -
<configuration>
 <property>
    <name>fs.default.name</name>
    <value>hdfs://localhost:9000</value>
  </property>
  <property>
    <name>mapred.job.tracker</name>
    <value>localhost:9001</value>
  </property>
  <property>
    <name>dfs.replication</name>
    <value>1</value>
  </property>
</configuration>

I have create some directories under my account and they show up correctly using "hadoop fs" shell command.

[patnala@ac4-dev-ims-211]~/dev/hadoop/hadoop-0.19.1% hadoop fs -ls /user/patnala/tmp/allocation
Found 2 items
drwxr-xr-x   - patnala supergroup          0 2009-04-20 21:58 /user/patnala/tmp/allocation/1
drwxr-xr-x   - patnala supergroup          0 2009-04-20 21:58 /user/patnala/tmp/allocation/2

I am trying to retrieve the same information in Java through the org.apache.hadoop.fs package.

Following is my code -

Configuration conf = new Configuration().
conf.addResource(new Path(hadoopConfigFile1)); -- hadoopConfigFile1 is hadoop-default.xml
conf.addResource(new Path(hadoopConfigFile1)); -- hadoopConfigFile1 is hadoop-site.xml
FileSystem fs = FileSystem.get(conf);

FileStatus[] listFiles =
listFiles = fs.listStatus(path);
logger.debug("Obtained directory contents for ap store url, size - " + listFiles.length);

The output is below -
DEBUG [main] (Configuration.java:176) - java.io.IOException: config()
        at org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.<init>(Configuration.java:176)
        at org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.<init>(Configuration.java:164)
        at com.yahoo.morocco.systems.optimization.client.planstore.GridPlanConsumer.main(GridPlanConsumer.java:94)

DEBUG [main] (GridPlanConsumer.java:38) - Allocating GridPlanConsumer with config  and allocation plan root URL - /user/patnala/tmp/allocation
DEBUG [main] (UnixUserGroupInformation.java:276) - Unix Login: patnala,dev,yahoodev,devmorocco,morocco-ims-dev
 INFO [main] (GridPlanConsumer.java:101) - Successfully allocationed plan consumer object
DEBUG [main] (GridPlanConsumer.java:54) - Obtained directory contents for ap store url, size - 0

The "size - 0" means that it couldn't retrieve any files or directories under - /user/patnala/tmp/allocation/.

I tried other paths and it seems like it's treating that path as a local directory.

If I try specifying the complete HDFS path, I get some other exception below -
 INFO [main] (GridPlanConsumer.java:101) - Successfully allocationed plan consumer object
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Wrong FS: hdfs://localhost:9000/, expected: file:///
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.checkPath(FileSystem.java:322)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.RawLocalFileSystem.pathToFile(RawLocalFileSystem.java:52)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.RawLocalFileSystem.listStatus(RawLocalFileSystem.java:280)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.listStatus(FileSystem.java:723)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.listStatus(FileSystem.java:748)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.ChecksumFileSystem.listStatus(ChecksumFileSystem.java:457)
        at com.yahoo.morocco.systems.optimization.client.planstore.GridPlanConsumer.getPlans(GridPlanConsumer.java:52)
        at com.yahoo.morocco.systems.optimization.client.planstore.GridPlanConsumer.main(GridPlanConsumer.java:103)
ERROR [main] (GridPlanConsumer.java:106) - Program exited with exception: Wrong FS: hdfs://localhost:9000/, expected: file:///

My question is, how do I parse directories and list files for data stored in the HDFS in java?

Thanks,
Praveen.

http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_skydrive_042009