Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2015/03/20 04:00:07 UTC

Author tags in SDK code

Hi,

While looking though the the Flex SDK code I noticed a lot of author tags (and some email addresses). This is generally frowned upon at Apache see for example [1][2][3][4]. (These probably should of been cleaned up at donation.) Anyway I've gone and removed most of them and will check in shortly. However I'm not 100% sure what should be done to the ones (1000+) in the files in the modules\thirdparty directory. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2004/board_minutes_2004_09_22.txt (read 7F)
2. http://opensource.com/law/14/2/copyright-statements-source-files
3. https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=text%20~%20%22remove%20%40author%20tags%22
4. https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=text%20~%20%22%40author%20tags%22

Re: Author tags in SDK code

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I'd rather leave author tags in third-party code, unless they refer to
> Flex committers.

Sounds reasonable to me. I was thinking of checking the current version of each 3rd party project and seeing if they had removed the tags and using that as a guide.

> FWIW the main reason to avoid author tags is to avoid users contacting
> committers directly, we want them to get in touch with the project
> instead.

Many of the author tags I removed also contained (non apache) email addresses.  On a similar subject I did run into this recently. [1]

> And many of our files have multiple authors anyway.

Quite a few of the files had multiple author tags (now removed).

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://github.com/mackyle/sqlite/blob/3cf493d4018042c70a4db733dd38f96896cd825f/src/os.h#L52

Re: Author tags in SDK code

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself - I’m Chris Mattmann, I lead
teams that build scientific computing systems at NASA; I teach
Search Engines & Information Retrieval @ USC; and I am a member
of the ASF and one of its current Directors.

/me waves

To this particular issue, I agree with Bertrand; no need to
remove author tags from 3rd party code (and in fact, if I
were one of the devs of those codes, that wouldn’t be cool).

Anyways I’m going to be hanging out here for a bit and so I’ll
try and chime in if I have anything that can possibly contribute
to the conversation.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Author tags in SDK code

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> If I can be of any help, please let me know (and tell me what to do, or what not to do)

Currently looks like there nothing more to be done here.

But if you're looking for something to do you could:
1. Tale a look at bugs that should be easy to test or fix [1]
2. Tour De Flex could always do with more examples in particular any relate to Apache added features (eg new padding attribute, the new flat skins) [2]. Since i's release a few months back it had over 40,000 people use it.
3. We're soon to have a new Flex SDK release, checking that the current RC works on your platform / with your projects and doesn't introduce any regression issues would help.
4. The failure rate for the installer is higher than is should be and has a few outstanding bugs, some of these issues have been fixed but there still a few outstanding. [3]

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12322826
2. http://flex.apache.org/tourdeflex/
3. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-34583

Re: Author tags in SDK code

Posted by Dany Dhondt <ar...@mac.com>.
Hi Justin,

If I can be of any help, please let me know (and tell me what to do, or what not to do)

Dany

Re: Author tags in SDK code

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>.
Thanks Justin, it’s not controversial it’s just not doctrine
and stating that the board recommends it and then citing minutes
from over a decade ago don’t make it any more recommended than
anything else.

The past 2 boards that I’ve been on have never brought it up;
and since I have been participating actively at the foundation
(2005-*) it’s never been a board level issue. It’s a community
issue. No one in Flex has objected, so please proceed, however
I will state again it’s not a board level issue.

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

1. http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2004/board_minutes_2004_09_22.txt  (see 7F)
2. http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2004/board_minutes_2004_02_18.txt (see 5D)

Re: Author tags in SDK code

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Just FYI: it’s not recommended by the ASF board that @author
tags be removed. It’s up to the community to decide these things.
Many communities decide to do this - they are not required to; nor
does the board recommend these things :)

Cheers,
Chris

Re: Author tags in SDK code

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Re: Author tags in SDK code

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
> Any suggestions?

Ignore them. There’s no hard rule that they cannot be there. While I agree that we should not be adding them, I see no reason to waste time removing them.