Posted to dev@storm.apache.org by Harsha Balasubramanian <ha...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/28 21:38:36 UTC

Storm re-balancing does not take effect

Hi,

I am running storm (forked from apache storm master) using a local server.
My nimbus, supervisor and zookeeper are on the same machine. I have one
spout which is a version of the WordCountTopology. I also have 2 bolts to
split sentences and count unique words. The spout and bolts start with 1
executor and one task.

The topology runs fine and executes as expected in local mode (using
maven).

However, when i run it with the local server setup described above, the
re-balance API does not seem to work. I'm re-balancing my topology to use 2
executors fr the spout and bolt. There is no error and the logs look like
the API is trying to re-balance. But there is no change in the number of
executors.

I've attached the sceen shots of my UI tool and commands to re-balance.
Please help.

FYI: The one red flag for me is, there is no re-balance log file in the log
directory (all other components have a log file) and I've seen the
re-balance log being created before.

Thanks,
Harsha

*Contact Details: *
Harsha Balasubramanian
Graduate Student at University of Toronto
Masters in Computer Science

Email: harshab85@cs.toronto.edu
LinkedIn : ca.linkedin.com/in/harshabala/

Re: Storm re-balancing does not take effect

Posted by Harsha Balasubramanian <ha...@gmail.com>.
The re-balancing works fine for the WordCountTopology present in
storm-starter. I am able to change the executors at will. It just doesn't
work for my topology. The yaml file is the same in both cases.

Thanks,
Harsha

*Contact Details: *
Harsha Balasubramanian
Graduate Student at University of Toronto
Masters in Computer Science

Mobile : 647-771-3596
Email 1: harshab85@cs.toronto.edu
Email 2: harshab85@gmail.com
LinkedIn : ca.linkedin.com/in/harshabala/

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Harsha Balasubramanian <harshab85@gmail.com