Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl> on 2004/03/09 20:58:06 UTC

Re: Question about Apache FOP

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 08:43:51AM +0000, Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Peter Billen wrote:
>
> >- projects similar to Apache FOP - I found something about Jade (used in
> >docbook I'm correct), but haven't looked into that yet.
>
> Well, xmlroff is the only other open source XSL-FO Formatter, but there
> are a few commercial implementations. The main ones being RenderX's XEP
> and Antenna House's XSL Formatter.

Jade is not quite similar. It uses DSSSL not XSL-FO. DSSSL is a
predecessor of XSL-FO, and applies to SGML files not XML
files. Docbook was one of the few projects that had extensive public
DSSSL stylesheets. Docbook SGML, its stylesheets and JadeTeX were used
a lot in the late 90s. JadeTeX is a so-called backend to Jade, using
TeX for typesetting. Different from FOP, Jade did not do the
typesetting itself.

Regards,
Simon Pepping

--