Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1998/01/21 13:40:02 UTC

NL: IBM Pays Million To Sponsor Super Bowl Site (fwd)

   Big Blue Scores: IBM has paid an estimated $1 million to the National
   Football League ([12][Company Capsule]) for the right to sponsor the
   NFL's official Super Bowl Web site ([13]http://www.superbowl.com),
   according to industry analysts.

        :    :     :      :

        What does IBM get from all that? "It shows we can handle a lot of
   traffic securely," says Laura Wessner, a spokeswoman for IBM. "It's a
   demonstration of what we can do for people's businesses."

   Copyright Los Angeles Times

-=-==

Head "http://www.superbowl.com/"

HTTP/1.1 200 Document follows
Server: Domino-Go-Webserver/4.6
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 12:33:32 GMT
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Vary: *
Last-Modified: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 17:01:13 GMT

Oh well, we can't be everywhere.

Re: NL: IBM Pays Million To Sponsor Super Bowl Site (fwd)

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Lars Eilebrecht wrote:
> >
> > BTW, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to create a
> > 'famous sites using Apache' page and put it on www.apache.org?
>
> If we do, it should only be with the permission (and collusion)
> of the sites involved.  NASA, the British royal family, Wired, ...
> There should also be an autojob set up to verify regularly that
> they *continue* to use Apache.
>
> I'll take on the task of automating this if there's one more +1
> on the concept.  Additional 'famous sites' to be included are
> hereby solicited..

+1...

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: NL: IBM Pays Million To Sponsor Super Bowl Site (fwd)

Posted by Random Junk <js...@gamespot.com>.
Rodent of Unusual Size writes:
> I'll take on the task of automating this if there's one more +1
> on the concept.  Additional 'famous sites' to be included are
> hereby solicited..

i don't know how famous we are but all the gamespot network sites
(www.gamespot.com, video.gamespot.com, ping.gamespot.com, etc...) all
run apache + modperl.

we are doing ~10 million requests per day on 3 machines (2 IRIX, 1
FreeBSD).

--
    Jon Drukman       jsd@gamespot.com      SpotMedia Communications
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence.

Re: NL: IBM Pays Million To Sponsor Super Bowl Site (fwd)

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Lars Eilebrecht wrote:

> BTW, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to create a
> 'famous sites using Apache' page and put it on www.apache.org?

If we do, it should only be with the permission (and collusion)
of the sites involved.  NASA, the British royal family, Wired, ...
There should also be an autojob set up to verify regularly that
they *continue* to use Apache.

I'll take on the task of automating this if there's one more +1
on the concept.  Additional 'famous sites' to be included are
hereby solicited..

#ken	P-)}

Re: NL: IBM Pays Million To Sponsor Super Bowl Site (fwd)

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
At 08:52 PM 1/22/98 +0100, Lars Eilebrecht wrote:
>Do you mean http://www.apache.org/info/apache_users.html?
>Well, this page is very outdated and I suppose that it is no longer
>maintained.
>
>With Apache running on 50% on all internet hosts there is IMHO no
>real need for such a page... but I still think that a page with
>'famous Apache sites' would be kinda interesting, wouldn't it?

It would be very useful to have a page of high-profile sites which run
Apache.

	Brian

specialization is for insects				  brian@organic.com

Re: NL: IBM Pays Million To Sponsor Super Bowl Site (fwd)

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Lars Eilebrecht wrote:

> According to Ben Laurie:
>
> > > BTW, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to create a
> > > 'famous sites using Apache' page and put it on www.apache.org?
> >
> >  There's already one that's vaguely along those lines, isn't there? Dunno
> >  how up-to-date it is, though...
>
> Do you mean http://www.apache.org/info/apache_users.html?
> Well, this page is very outdated and I suppose that it is no longer
> maintained.
>
> With Apache running on 50% on all internet hosts there is IMHO no
> real need for such a page... but I still think that a page with

In fact, a list of sites not running Apache would be smaller.  <g>

Re: NL: IBM Pays Million To Sponsor Super Bowl Site (fwd)

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <La...@unix-ag.org>.
According to Ben Laurie:

> > BTW, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to create a
> > 'famous sites using Apache' page and put it on www.apache.org?
>
>  There's already one that's vaguely along those lines, isn't there? Dunno
>  how up-to-date it is, though...

Do you mean http://www.apache.org/info/apache_users.html?
Well, this page is very outdated and I suppose that it is no longer
maintained.

With Apache running on 50% on all internet hosts there is IMHO no
real need for such a page... but I still think that a page with
'famous Apache sites' would be kinda interesting, wouldn't it?

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht                      - You know it's going to be a bad day
sfx@unix-ag.org                       - when you forget your new password.

Re: NL: IBM Pays Million To Sponsor Super Bowl Site (fwd)

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <La...@unix-ag.org>.
According to Ben Laurie:

>  Hmmm ... didn't I see a rather interesting security alert for Domino
>  just recently?

Yep, there was a L0pht advisory on bugtraq... On a badly configured
domino site it's possible to modify server configuration and documents.

BTW, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to create a
'famous sites using Apache' page and put it on www.apache.org?

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht                     - Just because you're paranoid doesn't
sfx@unix-ag.org                      - mean they're not really after you.

Re: NL: IBM Pays Million To Sponsor Super Bowl Site (fwd)

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.