Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by rd...@monroehosp.org on 2007/10/11 19:06:37 UTC

Are all cf files used in spamassassin

I am a novice with spamassassin.  I am having a problem getting my arms
around several concepts.  Here are several questions.

In looking at the local.cf, I see that the threshhold for marking a piece
of mail as spam is 5.  Can I have this mail deleted instead of being sent
to the user?

In the /usr/share/spamassassin directory there are a number of cf files.
Does spamassassin use all these files as tests as a default setting?  If
not, how do I make sure they are used?

Richmond H. Dyes
Monroe Community Hospital
IS Department Head
760-6213

Re: Are all cf files used in spamassassin

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
rdyes@monroehosp.org wrote:

> I am a novice with spamassassin.  I am having a problem getting my
> arms around several concepts.  Here are several questions.
>
> In looking at the local.cf, I see that the threshhold for marking a
> piece of mail as spam is 5.  Can I have this mail deleted instead of
> being sent to the user?
SpamAssassin cannot do this directly, as it has no control over the
message envelope. If SA were to try, most mail tools would assume it
errored and recover the original, unscanned, message.

However, lots of mail tools that do have control of the envelope can be
configured to delete the message, properly, if they see SA's marked it
as spam..

Thus, the answer here depends on what other tools you're using in your
mail processing. Generally folks use procmail rules to do this, but
there are lots of other ways depending on what you've got in your setup..

> In the /usr/share/spamassassin directory there are a number of cf
> files.  Does spamassassin use all these files as tests as a default
> setting?
Yes, unless there's a newer directory created by sa-update. (ie:
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.002003/updates_spamassassin_org/)
> If not, how do I make sure they are used?
spamassassin --lint -D will, among other things, list every file SA
reads, assuming you've got a reasonably recent version of SA.