Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by Adam Bishop <TM...@ntlworld.com> on 2004/03/05 23:06:46 UTC

Help installing asp for apache

Okay, this question is probably blindingly obvious, but...

If I download the mod_perl module and install it, will my server instantly
become asp-enabled (after restarting etc.), or do I need to download
something else?

If there is, can I have a link, as I have trawled the apache::asp site but
found very little.

I have read all of the faq and install guide, but found it a bit fragmented
and vague.

Probably something to do with the fact that I'm doing this at 10 at night,
and haven't had choclate or coffee for an hour.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam Bishop

TMX@ntlworld.com
Themysteriousx@ntlworld.com
Themysteriousx@hotmail.com
Adambishop50@hotmail.com
Themysterious_x@yahoo.com
adam__bishop@hotmail.com

 http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

Re: Help installing asp for apache

Posted by Josh Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Adam Bishop wrote:
> Okay, this question is probably blindingly obvious, but...
>
> If I download the mod_perl module and install it, will my server instantly
> become asp-enabled (after restarting etc.), or do I need to download
> something else?

Install software in this order:

   Apache
   perl
   mod_perl ( depends on perl & Apache )
   Apache::ASP ( depends on mod_perl )

Typical Linux installations already have Apache/perl/mod_perl installed,
all you need to do at that point is install Apache::ASP via directions here:

   http://www.apache-asp.org/install.html#Download%20and86dfc858

If you have Windows, things are easy, just see these directions:

   http://www.apache-asp.org/install.html#Win32%20%2F%20Wind784e394f

I misrepresented things somewhat above.  Apache::ASP does not have to
depend on mod_perl being installed, but typically you want to run Apache::ASP
under mod_perl.  You can also run it in CGI mode, for this please see:

   http://www.apache-asp.org/cgi.html#Standalone%20Cbddd74cc

Use CGI mode if you cannot make mod_perl work for you, but Apache
does work for you on a unix type system.

Regards,

Josh