Posted to apreq-dev@httpd.apache.org by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com> on 2002/12/19 13:01:17 UTC

1.1rc2 was (Re: [Fwd: Re: [proposal/vote] OS X support])

David Wheeler <da...@wheeler.net> writes:

> On Tuesday, December 17, 2002, at 04:34  PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>
> > Yes- I'll put together an rc-2 tonight and place the patches in
> > the /osx directory.
>
> Cool. I'll look around for some tuits to write a quick README.MacOSX.
> Will that do?

Sure, that's fine.  rc-2 is online at

  http://httpd.apache.org/~joes/libapreq-1.1_rc2.tar.gz

I put the patch in /patches.  Check out patches/README for details,
and be sure to test everything out.  I did not test the patch myself,
so it's likely broken.

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: 1.1rc2 was (Re: [Fwd: Re: [proposal/vote] OS X support])

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On 23 Dec 2002, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> David Wheeler <da...@wheeler.net> writes:

> > > FWIW, we use FindBin in mod_perl 2.0 to resolve this problem.
> > >
> > > use FindBin;
> > > use lib map "$FindBin::Bin/$_",
> > >         qw(../Apache-Test/lib ../lib ../../lib);
> >
> > I agree that that's a good approach. I enclose a patch implementing
> > this change. I've tested it and it works fine.
>
> Patch tested OK on linux.  I just applied it (hoping that
> it won't break the tests on Win32 :).

It's fine on Win32 - thanks :)

--
best regards,
randy

Re: 1.1rc2 was (Re: [Fwd: Re: [proposal/vote] OS X support])

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.

Posted by David Wheeler <da...@wheeler.net>.
On Monday, December 23, 2002, at 05:02  PM, Stas Bekman wrote:

>> I agree that it should work, but unfortunately, it doesn't. Neither
>> do these. :-( What does work is if I put in the full path.
>
> FWIW, we use FindBin in mod_perl 2.0 to resolve this problem.
>
> use FindBin;
> use lib map "$FindBin::Bin/$_",
>         qw(../Apache-Test/lib ../lib ../../lib);

I agree that that's a good approach. I enclose a patch implementing
this change. I've tested it and it works fine.

Regards,

David

david@wheeler.net                                 ICQ: 15726394
http://david.wheeler.net/                      Yahoo!: dew7e
                                                Jabber: Theory@jabber.org

Re: 1.1rc2 was (Re: [Fwd: Re: [proposal/vote] OS X support])

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by David Wheeler <da...@wheeler.net>.
On Monday, December 23, 2002, at 04:18  PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

>> Can't locate loadable object for module Apache::Request in @INC (@INC
>> contains: blib/arch
>             ^^^^^^^^^
>
> It should be in there (it's a relative path); you might try editing the
> bottom of Makefile.PL; see the "unshift @INC" line. Possible changes:
>
>   unshift @INC, "./blib/arch";
> or
>   unshift @INC, "../blib/arch";

I agree that it should work, but unfortunately, it doesn't. Neither do
these. :-( What does work is if I put in the full path.

>> So I'm guessing that something's wonky in
>> finding the object files before they're installed.
>
> Hmm, maybe there's a relative-path problem in the vendor's build of
> mod_perl?

Given that the full path works, I would guess that this is, in fact,
the case. Any chance it could be changed to use a full path? If not,
I'll change the instructions I'm writing to run "make test" after "make
install" :-(

I enclose the INSTALL.MacOSX file I've written. It borrows liberally
from your own hints, Joe, and I've tested it on Mac OS X, using both
approaches. Ken, can you test the Mac OS X 10.1 approach on your box?

Thanks!

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
David Wheeler <da...@wheeler.net> writes:

[...]

> Can't locate loadable object for module Apache::Request in @INC (@INC
> contains: blib/arch
            ^^^^^^^^^

Posted by David Wheeler <da...@wheeler.net>.
On Thursday, December 19, 2002, at 04:01  AM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> Sure, that's fine.  rc-2 is online at
>
>   http://httpd.apache.org/~joes/libapreq-1.1_rc2.tar.gz
>
> I put the patch in /patches.  Check out patches/README for details,
> and be sure to test everything out.  I did not test the patch myself,
> so it's likely broken.

I'll work on that shortly. For now, I'm writing the instructions for
building apreq on Mac OS X 10.2. It works great for Apple's default
Apache install except for one thing: The test httpd server doesn't
start properly. Here's the error I get in t/error_log:

Syntax error on line 67 of /usr/local/src/httpd-apreq-1.1/t/httpd.conf:
Can't locate loadable object for module Apache::Request in @INC (@INC
contains: blib/arch /usr/local/src/httpd-apreq-1.1/blib/lib
/usr/local/src/httpd-apreq-1.1/t/lib /usr/local/bricolage/lib
/Users/david/dev/perl/myco/classes /System/Library/Perl/darwin
/System/Library/Perl /Library/Perl/darwin /Library/Perl
/Network/Library/Perl/darwin /Network/Library/Perl . /usr/
/usr/lib/perl) at /System/Library/Perl/darwin/mod_perl.pm line 14

FWIW, if I go ahead and do "make install" and *then* do "make test",
all of the tests pass. So I'm guessing that something's wonky in
finding the object files before they're installed.

As I mentioned before, it works fine with my custom Apache/mod_perl
build, including the tests.

I should have the INSTALL.MacOSX file done in a couple of hours. If you
have any feedback on this issue, I'll be happy to roll it in.