Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/14 08:57:32 UTC

[OT] Re: Should I announce SmartURLs or wait?

2007/9/13, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>:

> Of course, sadly, Hibernate is under the LGPL, which the FSF insists
> is not compatible with the Apache License <deep-melancholy-sigh/> :(

You can use Apache Cayenne then :-)

Antonio

Re: [OT] Re: Should I announce SmartURLs or wait?

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.
I'd like to solidify a package names. One of the headaches we
experienced was the conversion between the two versions of
zero-conf/code-behind because of the package names. I'm fine with moving
my packages around into the struts namespace, but if you guys decide to
add these annotations for 2.0.x I think they should be put into their
final package so to speak and fix everything to use those package names.

-bp

Posted by Ian Roughley <ia...@fdar.com>.
Don Brown wrote:
> The generally accepted terminology for release numbering is
> MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH.  Yes, Struts does things strangely, but that
> doesn't change how users expect things to work.  Throwing in big
> features, and yes, I consider new annotations big features as they
> worm their way into user code, is not something I feel comfortable
> doing in a "third-level" release, or whatever we call it.
>
> In this case, the annotations will be likely redone for 2.1 anyways.
> A lot of it is my fault - they have been kinda thrown in there without
> systematic thought, and I had hoped we could fix that for 2.1.  I'd
> hate to introduce new annotations only to deprecate them weeks later.

My preference would be to wait as well.  If for nothing else, to see how
JSR-311 (RESTful web services) flushes out and whether we should adopt
some of the structure of the annotations in Struts2.  Has anyone looked
into this JSR?  I saw a presentation at Sun Tech Days the other day.  I
just need to find some time to see if it could be adopted to the
annotations in s2 now :-)

Re: [OT] Re: Should I announce SmartURLs or wait?

Posted by Don Brown <do...@gmail.com>.
The generally accepted terminology for release numbering is
MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH.  Yes, Struts does things strangely, but that
doesn't change how users expect things to work.  Throwing in big
features, and yes, I consider new annotations big features as they
worm their way into user code, is not something I feel comfortable
doing in a "third-level" release, or whatever we call it.

In this case, the annotations will be likely redone for 2.1 anyways.
A lot of it is my fault - they have been kinda thrown in there without
systematic thought, and I had hoped we could fix that for 2.1.  I'd
hate to introduce new annotations only to deprecate them weeks later.

Don

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.