Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2007/05/30 18:30:42 UTC

Protections?

Gilles Scokart wrote:

> My understanding is that ASF provide us some kind of 'legal'
> protection (I don't know which one) provided that you have
> send your ICLA.  Isn't it a type of contract?

There are several issues, but there is no "contract" between the ASF and
Committers to protect them, although we try to see that all contributors are
protected.  The Apache License is intended to provide a number of
protections.  Likewise, the way in which Apache projects are governed is
designed to provide protection.  There are reasons for the collective
decision making process, and the requirement for group oversight.  Amongst
them is the intent that no one individual would be considered liable for
code.  This is also behind the strong recommendation from the Board that
code not contain author tags.

	--- Noel