Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> on 2014/02/20 14:37:46 UTC

[DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Hi folks,

I cringe to raise this issue. After 6 RCs I am sure we are all feeling
a little bit of release vote fatigue. Especially Animesh. I apologize
in advance; in all other respects I am ready to give a +1 to RC6.

I've been playing with 4.3.0-rc6 for a couple of days now. I attempted
to build some RPMs and had problems with dependency resolution in
maven. This led me to looking at a number of different poms, and I
noticed mysql-connector-java is listed as a runtime dependency. For
our end users, this really isn't necessary - the debs and rpms specify
a requirement (effectively a system requirement in the terms of
policy) for mysql-connector-java. We don't need it to build the
software (at least not in any location I've seen) - just when running.
(And thus its a system dependency, much like MySQL is.)

mysql-connector-java is GPLv2; which is Cat X. By including it as a
dependency in the pom it automatically gets downloaded. The 3rd Party
software policy has this line in it:

"YOU MUST NOT distribute build scripts or documentation within an
Apache product with the purpose of causing the default/standard build
of an Apache product to include any part of aprohibited work."

We've released software with this dependency previously. Is this a
blocker for 4.3 or do we fix going forward? (If we hadn't already
shipped releases with this problem I'd lean a bit more towards it
being a blocker - but its more murky now.)

Thoughts, comments, flames?

--David

[1] https://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.
+1 well put.

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Animesh Chaturvedi
<an...@citrix.com> wrote:
> I am still not convinced or comfortable with release manager's liability for release content. It seems
> we are going with practical approach but since legality has been called out the legal instrument needs
> to be clearly defined. I will respond pack in private with more clarification

Think of it this way (but remember INAL):

If you do something for your $dayjob, if it's done as part of your job
and done following your company's policies, your corporation (I would
hope) protect you.  That's because you are doing something you are
authorized to do on behalf of your corporation.  Similarly, we follow
ASF policies and procedures so that things we do in our project are
something that the foundation considers "an act of the foundation".

Anyway, happy to discuss in private as well...

-chip

RE: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.
+1 this is reasonable.

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.

RE: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

RE: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
>> LEGAL - when I talk about legal problems below I refer to liability incurred by
>> individuals in the project, especially the release manager,
>
> [Animesh] Can you clarify 'especially the release manager' part? Release manager is just like any other volunteer and does not have any special privileges. The community VOTEs on the release.

Sure, it isn't about privilege, it's about liability. So the
foundation covers (and has insurance for) actions taken on behalf of
the Foundation. If process is followed (including getting the votes)
releasing software is effectively a function of the Foundation - and
thus it bears liability. The foundation needs to ensure that the
release is a 'authorized business decision' on behalf of the
Foundation (which is why the Board has to ACK PMC additions, etc.).
Hence all the process and policy.

Publishing software however, if really done by the release manager.
And if release process isn't followed, it's no longer a function of
the foundation - and software is effectively released by the RM, and
thus he is individually liable. Sadly this isn't theoretical, and is

RE: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

 or the foundation

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
OK - so hoping to inject some clarification to this discussion - maybe
it will make more sense.

Lets start with definitions, and I'll try and use caps when referring
to this definitions.

LEGAL - when I talk about legal problems below I refer to liability
incurred by individuals in the project, especially the release
manager, or the foundation itself. There are precious few real legal

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
On 02/20/2014 02:37 PM, David Nalley wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I cringe to raise this issue. After 6 RCs I am sure we are all feeling
> a little bit of release vote fatigue. Especially Animesh. I apologize
> in advance; in all other respects I am ready to give a +1 to RC6.

My apologies, I didn't find the time to play with 4.3 at all.

> I've been playing with 4.3.0-rc6 for a couple of days now. I attempted
> to build some RPMs and had problems with dependency resolution in
> maven. This led me to looking at a number of different poms, and I
> noticed mysql-connector-java is listed as a runtime dependency. For
> our end users, this really isn't necessary - the debs and rpms specify
> a requirement (effectively a system requirement in the terms of
> policy) for mysql-connector-java. We don't need it to build the
> software (at least not in any location I've seen) - just when running.
> (And thus its a system dependency, much like MySQL is.)
>
> mysql-connector-java is GPLv2; which is Cat X. By including it as a
> dependency in the pom it automatically gets downloaded. The 3rd Party
> software policy has this line in it:
>
> "YOU MUST NOT distribute build scripts or documentation within an
> Apache product with the purpose of causing the default/standard build
> of an Apache product to include any part of aprohibited work."
>
> We've released software with this dependency previously. Is this a
> blocker for 4.3 or do we fix going forward? (If we hadn't already
> shipped releases with this problem I'd lean a bit more towards it
> being a blocker - but its more murky now.)
>
> Thoughts, comments, flames?

I'd say we are OK for now with this. We know it's a problem and it can
be fixed in the next release imho.

Wido

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by Nate Gordon <na...@appcore.com>.
Just to be thorough, is using provided scope good enough? Sure it doesn't
pull it into the final product and isn't in transitive dependencies, but it
is still downloaded for the compile process. From your previous emails, it
sounded like we can not download it whatsoever during the build. Building
cloud-framework-db still downloads the jar to build that specific sub
project (Just validated off of latest 4.3), which is necessary for the
overall project build.

Not trying to be a pain, just trying to make sure we don't miss something,
but I could be misunderstanding the situation.

Thanks,

-Nate

--

*Nate Gordon*Director of Technology | Appcore - the business of cloud
computing(R)

Office +1.800.735.7104  |  Direct +1.515.612.7787
nate.gordon@appcore.com  |  www.appcore.com

The information in this message is intended for the named recipients only.
It may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise
protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking
of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, do not print it or
disseminate it or its contents. In such event, please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete the e-mail file immediately thereafter. Thank you.

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by Hugo Trippaers <hu...@trippaers.nl>.
Guys,

RE: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by Rayees Namathponnan <ra...@citrix.com>.
Hi David,

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
Hi folks:

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 20, 2014, at 5:10 PM, Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org> wrote:

> Real quick, because I don't know if I will be able to track this
> thread in detail starting tonight...  Take this as input to the
> discussion that the whole community needs to have about the
> *potential* problem with the current situation.
>
> Legal documentation as well as application of the "valid license
> categories" is tied to the bits in something we distribute.  So that
> means that we have LICENSE and NOTICE for the source package (with all
> code either being valid licenses or developed at the ASF).  This same
> logic applies to any binary distribution...  they have their own legal
> documents, and they should pertain to all bits included in that
> distribution.
>
> Unlike other ASF projects, we do NOT offer binary builds from ASF
> infra.  This is where things are fuzzy, and there needs to be a
> discussion.  We offer "packages" that are pre-compiled.

I always thought that we do not offer packages. Wido does, not the project.
We do build them on jenkins, but there are not official releases.

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
FOSS seems to apply to us but the question is whether Apache recognises that.

--
Daan

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by Francois Gaudreault <fg...@cloudops.com>.

--
Francois Gaudreault
fgaudreault@cloudops.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by Francois Gaudreault <fg...@cloudops.com>.

--
Francois Gaudreault
fgaudreault@cloudops.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
Damoder: your patch merely piled on to an existing problem. I'll
respond more to this in a bit, but I think your approach solves your
bit of the problem. I have a much longer email that talks about why
coming up.

Thanks for working on getting a patch up so rapidly.

--David

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by Hugo Trippaers <hu...@trippaers.nl>.
Damodar,

Did you see my review comments?

Cheers,

Hugo

RE: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

RE: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

RE: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Nate Gordon <na...@appcore.com> wrote:
> Will this cause issues with people running ACS from maven jetty (or any
> other maven operation that needs the db) if the connector isn't pulled in
> by the pom?  I could see it being added to support that need.  If they are
> running it from a tomcat instance managed by eclipse, it would be pretty
> easy to manage it as a system dep there and removing it from the pom.  I've
> done that myself for other projects and not had a problem, it is just
> documentation.

Yes. A developer (or anyone else running ACS via jetty) will need to
have the jar in the classpath.

--David

Re: [DISCUSS] Policy blocker?

Posted by Nate Gordon <na...@appcore.com>.