Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Leonardo Quijano Vincenzi <le...@dtqsoftware.com> on 2005/09/02 00:00:30 UTC

Slow development cycle

Hi again,

I have a couple of questions, maybe some of you can help me out. It
seems to me that web-app development using Tapestry is getting a bit
slow. I had to turn off page-caching, since my changes weren't showing
up, and now I end up doing a 10seconds change - compile - redeploy -
test cycle.

Has anyone one you faced this problem? How do I:

1) Speed up Tapestry initialization:

15:54:11,620 INFO  [org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet] Initialized
application servlet 'SigepWeb': 5,658 millis to create HiveMind
Registry, 12,278 millis overall.

... 12 seconds, is this normal? My app barely has 6 pages!

2) I guess this could be a non-Tapestry related issue. But maybe someone
can help. How do I use hot-deploying on tomcat for Tapestry classes?
Everytime I change a page's code I have to restart the whole app (that's
30secs for Spring, 12-15secs for Tapestry - a whole minute on every page
change?). Things would be so much better if JBoss didn't throw its
hot-deployment errors on me. Any ideas?

3) Develop with the Tapestry cache enabled. I found out I couldn't use
tapestry page cache while developing. It doesn't get any changes I make
to a page, and I end up rebouncing the app (yep, that's another
minute!). Am I doing something wrong?

(btw, I'm using MyEclipse 4M3 on a JBoss server. Maybe I could change
servers, any recommendations?)

Ok, I think that's all. Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Ing. Leonardo Quijano Vincenzi
Director Técnico

Re: Slow development cycle

Posted by Leonardo Quijano Vincenzi <le...@dtqsoftware.com>.
hehe, I haven't got the time to test your suggestions. But thanks anyway!

(i'll check that out on Monday. Its fairly easy to have several
containers in this MyEclipse IDE ;))

Re: Slow development cycle

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.

Re: Slow development cycle

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.
Jetty and JettyLauncher (http:jettylauncher.sf.net) (along with tap
cache disabling and the reset service) for me on the desktop makes
debugging a snap. We deploy into Tomcat in all other environments.

Geoff

On 9/2/05, Inge Solvoll <ta...@ingenett.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm running tomcat 5 separately from jboss, and hot deploy of tapestry
> java code from eclipse works just fine for me. Maybe a change to
> tomcat/jboss, instead of just jboss, could work for you?
>
> I also use MyEclipse with tomcat and jboss running integrated with
> debugging in eclipse.
>
> Inge
>
> Leonardo Quijano Vincenzi wrote:
> > Hi again,
> >
> > I have a couple of questions, maybe some of you can help me out. It
> > seems to me that web-app development using Tapestry is getting a bit
> > slow. I had to turn off page-caching, since my changes weren't showing
> > up, and now I end up doing a 10seconds change - compile - redeploy -
> > test cycle.
> >
> > Has anyone one you faced this problem? How do I:
> >
> > 1) Speed up Tapestry initialization:
> >
> > 15:54:11,620 INFO  [org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet] Initialized
> > application servlet 'SigepWeb': 5,658 millis to create HiveMind
> > Registry, 12,278 millis overall.
> >
> > ... 12 seconds, is this normal? My app barely has 6 pages!
> >
> > 2) I guess this could be a non-Tapestry related issue. But maybe someone
> > can help. How do I use hot-deploying on tomcat for Tapestry classes?
> > Everytime I change a page's code I have to restart the whole app (that's
> > 30secs for Spring, 12-15secs for Tapestry - a whole minute on every page
> > change?). Things would be so much better if JBoss didn't throw its
> > hot-deployment errors on me. Any ideas?
> >
> > 3) Develop with the Tapestry cache enabled. I found out I couldn't use
> > tapestry page cache while developing. It doesn't get any changes I make
> > to a page, and I end up rebouncing the app (yep, that's another
> > minute!). Am I doing something wrong?
> >
> > (btw, I'm using MyEclipse 4M3 on a JBoss server. Maybe I could change
> > servers, any recommendations?)
> >
> > Ok, I think that's all. Thanks in advance for any help.

The Spindle guy.           http://spindle.sf.net
Get help with Spindle:
Announcement Feed:
http://www.jroller.com/rss/glongman?catname=/Announcements
Feature Updates:            http://spindle.sf.net/updates

Re: Slow development cycle

Posted by Inge Solvoll <ta...@ingenett.com>.
Hi

Re: Slow development cycle

Posted by Luc Peerdeman <lj...@xs4all.nl>.
Hi Leonardo,

You wrote:

> 3) Develop with the Tapestry cache enabled. I found out I couldn't use
> tapestry page cache while developing. It doesn't get any changes I make
> to a page, and I end up rebouncing the app (yep, that's another
> minute!). Am I doing something wrong?

Better is to set disable-caching to false as you did, additionally set
enable-reset-service to true, and then use the reset service during
development. Url is the same as for getting a page through the page
service, just use 'reset' as the service name.

Cheers, Luc.

Re: Slow development cycle

Posted by Tomáš Drenčák <to...@gmail.com>.
I work with tomcat and there's an eclipse tomcat plugin. Hot deploying
works fine until I add/remove some methods, then I have to restart an
application. And I have turned off page chaching so changes can be
seen immediately. But its still not very fast... Maybe someone has
better develping/deployment strategy. Please share!

tomas