Posted to user@spark.apache.org by DB Tsai <db...@dbtsai.com> on 2014/07/27 05:30:45 UTC

Spark MLlib vs BIDMach Benchmark

BIDMach is CPU and GPU-accelerated Machine Learning Library also from Berkeley.

https://github.com/BIDData/BIDMach/wiki/Benchmarks

They did benchmark against Spark 0.9, and they claimed that it's
significantly faster than Spark MLlib. In Spark 1.0, lot of
performance optimization had been done, and sparse data is supported.
It will be interesting to see new benchmark result.

Anyone familiar with BIDMach? Are they as fast as they claim?

Sincerely,

DB Tsai
My Blog: https://www.dbtsai.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/dbtsai

Re: Spark MLlib vs BIDMach Benchmark

Posted by Ameet Talwalkar <at...@gmail.com>.
To add to the last point, multimodel training is something we've explored
as part of the MLbase Optimizer, and we've seen some nice speedups.  This
feature will be added to MLlib soon (not sure if it'll make it into the 1.1
release though).