Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Tushar Kapila <tg...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/01 21:25:56 UTC

website http://ant.apache.org/bindownload.cgi & docs on scenarios

hello Ant dev folks
is there anyone looking after the web site?
On page http://ant.apache.org/bindownload.cgi
I was wondering if you could remove the message:

Note
Ant 1.8.2 was released on 27-December-2010 and may not be available on all
mirrors for a few days.

Its really out dated :)

ALso it might be good to add a wiki with permission only to a few people to
add pages - where a lot of use cases and samples can be added.

A lot of time we search for what we want and do not go the docs. When i
first looked at manifestclasspath it semed not to work unless you started
ant from the folder where the final jar was to recide. So I wrote a utility
to parse a jar of classpaths relative to a specific folder; then came to
know of exec and java tasks ...

Point is I think we can have more samples and how-to scenarios in a wiki.
If its put in place I don't mind contributing and am sure others would too.

Regards
Tushar Kapila
www.sel2in.com

Re: website http://ant.apache.org/bindownload.cgi & docs on scenarios

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-11-01, Tushar Kapila wrote:

> is there anyone looking after the web site?

Occasionaly.

> On page http://ant.apache.org/bindownload.cgi
> I was wondering if you could remove the message:

> Note
> Ant 1.8.2 was released on 27-December-2010 and may not be available on all
> mirrors for a few days.

> Its really out dated :)

This is boilerplate text we update with each release.  If we remove it
now we may forget to put it back for the next release.

> ALso it might be good to add a wiki with permission only to a few people to
> add pages - where a lot of use cases and samples can be added.

On the left hand side under "Documentation" there is a link to "Wiki"
pointing to <http://wiki.apache.org/ant/FrontPage>.  Anything wrong with
that?

> A lot of time we search for what we want and do not go the docs. When i
> first looked at manifestclasspath it semed not to work unless you started
> ant from the folder where the final jar was to recide.

The docs may not always be clear - which is to be expected if they are
written by the people who know the code.  Any help is very much
appreciated.

I don't think your manifestclasspath conclusion is true, though.  The
task works pretty well regardless of the folder you start Ant from, at
least it is supposed to.

> Point is I think we can have more samples and how-to scenarios in a
> wiki.  If its put in place I don't mind contributing and am sure
> others would too.

My guess is you've simply overlooked there already is a Wiki.

If you find real bugs in the manual then we should fix the manual rather
than add a Wiki page, though.

Cheers

        Stefan