Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Roland Silver <ro...@kitcarson.net> on 2006/08/02 12:47:09 UTC

problem with Quick Start

I've worked through almost all of the Quick Start in the Introduction
of the Book*, but now I'm stuck on page 7.
I have a (local) repository in /path/to/repos, and a working copy of
my project in /tmp/myproject:
/tmp/myproject/trunk:
Makefile        bar.c           foo.c
I'm not sure what the book means by "Enter your working copy", but I
cd'd to the directory /tmp/myproject/trunk),
edited foo.c using emacs, then tried to run svn diff (with my working
directory being /tmp/myproject/trunk) --
but I get the error message:

	svn: '.' is not a working copy

What's wrong? What do I do now?

I'm operating on an Apple PowerBook G4 running Mac OS X (version
10.4.7);
I have a rough (VERY rough) ability to use the command line interface
using Terminal;
I have an incompetent sysadmin (myself);
I've installed subversion v1.3, apparently successfully.

--Roland Silver <ro...@kitcarson.net>

* The "Book" is:
	Version Control with Subversion
	For Subversion 1.3
	(book compiled from Revision 2354)

Re: problem with Quick Start: starting over

Posted by Jeff D <fi...@gmail.com>.
Roland Silver wrote:
> Ryan,
> OK. I followed the rest of the thread,
> http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-07/0984.shtml,
> and things are moving ahead a bit -- but I'm not out of the woods.
> When I enter the commit command
>
> roland-silvers-powerbook-g4-17:~/myproject rollos$ svn commit
>
> the Terminal program hangs up without the "svn commit" finishing, and
> there's a file, ~/myproject/svn-commit.tmp, containing:
> --This line, and those below, will be ignored--
>
> M    foo.c
>
> Do you know why the "svn commit" doesn't terminate?

> On Aug 2, 2006, at 3:48 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Read the rest of the thread I posted above—I already answered that
>> question. :-)
>>
>> http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-07/0984.shtml

I always do it this way:  svn ci -m "my commit message"  , as I usually
don't end up writing too much  and is pretty handy from the command line.

Re: success with svn commit

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 8/2/06, Roland Silver <ro...@kitcarson.net> wrote:
> Ryan,
> Gosh, Chapter one of the SVN book doesn't say anything about the user
> having to DO anything after issuing a commit command!
>
> Yes, TextWrangler opens a file called "svn-commit.2.tmp" with the
> following contents (not including the dashed lines):
> ---------------------
> --This line, and those below, will be ignored--
>
> M    foo.c
> ---------------------
> I typed "fubar" at the top of the file, saved it, and closed the
> window -- and indeed the commit command finished with this three-line
> message:
> Sending        foo.c
> Transmitting file data .
> Committed revision 2.
>
> What is the significance of the commit message that I type? Ie what
> does svn do with the "fubar"?

You really ought to read through more of the book before you "dive
in."  Things will make much more sense then.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.tour.cycle.html#svn.tour.cycle.commit

The commit message is your mark in the repository explaining what and
why you're committing.  The more informative and detailed you make it,
the more understandable the project history is.  Subversion itself
doesn't care what your message is, but you and every other developer
will.

success with svn commit

Posted by Roland Silver <ro...@kitcarson.net>.
Ryan,

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Roland Silver <ro...@kitcarson.net>.
Ryan,

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Roland Silver <ro...@kitcarson.net>.
Ryan,
I followed your directions, and now I have two files:
~/.bash_profile:
export EDITOR=editor.sh

~/scripts/editor.sh:
#!/bin/sh
edit +1 --wait --resume "$@"

The directory ~/myproject contains:
Makefile        bar.c           foo.c

and (according to TextWrangler or "less foo.c") foo.c contains:
/* foo.c */
//This is file foo.c as of Wed 2006Aug02(14:10)

With the current directory:
roland-silvers-powerbook-g4-17:~/myproject rollos$ pwd
/Users/rollos/myproject

when I perform "svn commit" as follows, what I get follows:

roland-silvers-powerbook-g4-17:~/myproject rollos$ svn commit
sh: line 1: editor.sh: command not found
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: system('editor.sh svn-commit.tmp') returned 32512

Ryan, this is like pulling teeth, but I hope you'll stay with me for
this command, and maybe the last one:
svn commit
svn update

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
Don't forget to Reply To All so your reply goes to the mailing list too.

On Aug 2, 2006, at 22:23, Roland Silver wrote:

> Thanks, Ryan! I've now gotten a little further along, and "svn
> diff" worked OK.

Glad you're getting along!

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 2, 2006, at 21:42, Roland Silver wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2006, at 12:06 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Read it again. You start by having the initial copy of your code
>> in /tmp/myproject and you import this into the repository. After
>> that, the directory /tmp/myproject is unimportant and you can
>> delete it. To begin working on the project that's now in the
>> repository, you need to create a working copy, using "svn
>> checkout" as the quick start explains. It's in this newly-created
>> working copy that commands like svn diff will start to work.
>
> Well, I screwed up. How do I flush it from the repository so I can
> start over?
>
> If I just try to do this again:
> 	svn import /tmp/myproject file:///path/to/repos/myproject -m
> "initial import"
> I get:
> svn: File already exists: filesystem '/path/to/repos/db',
> transaction '1-1', path '/myproject/trunk'

If you want to delete the repository and make a new one, you can do
that:

rm -rf /path/to/repos
svnadmin create /path/to/repos

Or, if there's other data in the repository you still want to keep,
you can just remove that one path from the repository -- note that
when you do this, the files are still there in the history of the
repository and can be easily recovered.

svn rm file:///path/to/repos/myproject/trunk -m "Removing myproject/
trunk"

Re: problem with Quick Start

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.