Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jeff Mutonho <ej...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/14 15:00:52 UTC

Build error

I've just started going through the M2 docs.I tried to create my first
project  , but got an error message as shown below :

M2_FirstSteps]#mvn -e archetype:create -DgroupId=za.co.mycompany
-DartifactId=myapp
+ Error stacktraces are turned on.
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'archetype'.
[INFO] org.apache.maven.plugins: checking for updates from central
[WARNING] repository metadata for: 'org.apache.maven.plugins' could not be
retri
eved from repository: central due to an error: Error transferring file
[INFO] Repository 'central' will be blacklisted
[INFO]
---
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
---
[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does not
exi
st or no valid version could be found
[INFO]
---
[INFO] Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: The plugin '
org.apache.m
aven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does not exist or no valid version
could be
 found
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.verifyPlugin
(Defa
ultLifecycleExecutor.java:1247)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.getMojoDescriptor
(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1483)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.segmentTaskListBy
AggregationNeeds(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:378)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute
(DefaultLi
fecycleExecutor.java:134)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:322)
(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.
java:39)
(DelegatingMethodAcces
sorImpl.java:25)
        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java
:315)
        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java
:430)

Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.version.PluginVersionNotFoundException:
The p
lugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does not exist or no
val
id version could be found
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.version.DefaultPluginVersionManager.resolvePl
uginVersion(DefaultPluginVersionManager.java:225)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.version.DefaultPluginVersionManager.resolvePl
uginVersion(DefaultPluginVersionManager.java:87)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.verifyPlugin
(DefaultPlug
inManager.java:160)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.verifyPlugin
(Defa
ultLifecycleExecutor.java:1218)
        ... 14 more
[INFO]
---
[INFO] Total time: 21 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Tue Mar 14 15:54:08 GMT+02:00 2006
[INFO] Final Memory: 1M/2M
[INFO]
---

M2_FirstSteps]#

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."

Jeff  Mutonho
Java/J2EE Developer
mob    : + 27 82 907 6420

GoogleTalk : ejbengine
Skype        : ejbengine
Registered Linux user number 366042

Re: Build error

Posted by Jeff Mutonho <ej...@gmail.com>.

> empty.  Either set these fields or remove them.  Also, set
> <active>true</active>.  Again I haven't tried this stuff before so I'm
> just guessing.  If you can, remove the <proxy> section all together.
>

> _Mang Lau

Whoo hoo!!!It really was those unset  fields.I took them out and  it
worked!Thanx Mang :)

Re: Build error

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Try mvn -X -e ... to get full debugging info.

I'm sure something is wrong with your proxy, but of course I don't use
proxy so I have no idea what it should look like in the configuration
or what the potential errors might be. Hopefully -X will reveal what's
going on exactly.

Wayne

Re: Build error

Posted by Mang Jun Lau <Ma...@otpp.com>.
I haven't played with proxies but from your file, it looks like you have
some tags with no values in them

  <proxies>
    <proxy>
      <active/>
      <protocol/>
      <username/>
      <password/>
      <port>80</port>
      <host>198.blah.blah.blah</host>
      <id/>
    </proxy>
  </proxies>

empty.  Either set these fields or remove them.  Also, set
<active>true</active>.  Again I haven't tried this stuff before so I'm
just guessing.  If you can, remove the <proxy> section all together.

_Mang Lau

"Jeff Mutonho" <ej...@gmail.com>
03/14/2006 11:38 AM
Please respond to
"Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>

"Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Build error

Re: Build error

Posted by Jeff Mutonho <ej...@gmail.com>.

Re: Build error

Posted by Mang Jun Lau <Ma...@otpp.com>.
hmm...your maven has almost no changes to it right?  It's just unzipped
and you played with some stuff in settings.xml?  Has it retrieved anything
from the repository at all?

Does anyone have any ideas?

_Mang Lau

"Jeff Mutonho" <ej...@gmail.com>
03/14/2006 11:26 AM
Please respond to
"Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>

"Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Build error

> Try adding -U as a parameter after archetype:create.  This will force an
> update from the server.

Still same error  :(

Re: Build error

Posted by Jeff Mutonho <ej...@gmail.com>.
> Try adding -U as a parameter after archetype:create.  This will force an
> update from the server.

Still same error  :(

Re: Build error

Posted by Mang Jun Lau <Ma...@otpp.com>.
Try adding -U as a parameter after archetype:create.  This will force an
update from the server.

_Mang Lau

"Jeff Mutonho" <ej...@gmail.com>
03/14/2006 11:12 AM
Please respond to
"Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>

"Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Build error

Sorry missing a closing mirrors tag.  It should be like this:

> <settings>
>   <mirrors>
>     <mirror>
>       <id>lsu.edu</id>
>       <url>http://ibiblio.lsu.edu/main/pub/packages/maven2</url>
>       <mirrorOf>central</mirrorOf>
>     </mirror>
>   </mirrors>
> </settings>
>

> _Mang Lau
>

> I tried that but no luck.My settings.xml looks as follows :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<settings>
  <proxies>
    <proxy>
      <active/>
      <protocol/>
      <username/>
      <password/>
      <port>80</port>
      <host>myproxy</host>

Re: Build error

Posted by Jeff Mutonho <ej...@gmail.com>.

Re: Build error

Posted by Mang Jun Lau <Ma...@otpp.com>.
Sorry missing a closing mirrors tag.  It should be like this:

<settings>
  <mirrors>
    <mirror>
      <id>lsu.edu</id>
      <url>http://ibiblio.lsu.edu/main/pub/packages/maven2</url>
      <mirrorOf>central</mirrorOf>
    </mirror>
  </mirrors>
</settings>

_Mang Lau

Mang Jun Lau <Ma...@otpp.com>
03/14/2006 09:47 AM
Please respond to
"Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>

"Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Build error

Hi,

My guess is that the central repository was down at that time so it could
not download the maven-archetype-plugin.  I would try it again at another
time or add a mirror to your settings.xml file.  This file can be found in

your user home .m2 directory.  If it's not there then make one like so:

<settings>
  <mirrors>
    <mirror>
      <id>lsu.edu</id>
      <url>http://ibiblio.lsu.edu/main/pub/packages/maven2</url>
      <mirrorOf>central</mirrorOf>
    </mirror>
</settings>

I use this mirror and it's usually up.  Give that a try.

_Mang Lau

"Jeff Mutonho" <ej...@gmail.com>
03/14/2006 09:00 AM

Re: Build error