Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/25 19:14:33 UTC

Synapse 2.0 ??

Hi Devs,

We have been trying to get the 1.3 release out, we have branched the source
as well, but was not being able to complete the release.

Now if you look at the trunk there have been more fixes on the trunk as well
as a lot of features added compared to the branch, to name a few;

   1. Priority Mediation
   2. Hot deployement/update of synapse artifacts

Almost all the changes that are there on the 1.3 branch are already there on
the trunk as well.

Considering the above facts, it seems that there is no point in going for a
release of the 1.3 branch at this moment. It will be more effective to
stabilize the trunk and do a solid release out of the trunk, with all the
new features. By considering the level of improvements and features that we
have been doing, I would like to go for a 2.0 version upgrade, since we have
added a lot more features from 1.0 now for example eventing and the above
said features.

I have a set of new stuff in mind to be completed on the 2.0 release as
well. So if there is no objection I would like to bring in a release plan to
be executed with the set of features that we are going to do for the 2.0
release of Synapse.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ruwan

--
Ruwan Linton
Technical Lead & Product Manager; WSO2 ESB; http://wso2.org/esb

Re: Synapse 2.0 ??

Posted by Heshan Suriyaarachchi <he...@gmail.com>.
+1. Will comment on the issues before start working on the patches, to avoid
confusions. :)

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Folks who would like to contribute to the 2.x release by fixing issues and
> so forth please use the JIRA itself and add a comment, so that we will not
> have confusions of multiple people working on the same issue :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Ruwan

Heshan Suriyaarachchi

http://heshans.blogspot.com/

Re: Synapse 2.0 ??

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: Synapse 2.0 ??

Posted by Rajika Kumarasiri <ra...@wso2.com>.

Re: Synapse 2.0 ??

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
+1

Ruwan

RE: Synapse 2.0 ??

Re: Synapse 2.0 ??

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,

First of all, if you see my second mail that I fired few minutes before...
you will realize one of the ideas behind going for a 2.0. Since the XML
Schema compliance will make some changes to the configuration language.

We can do a 1.3 from the branch, but we cannot just dump the release, we
need to complete documentation, do testing and so forth, which will result
in more work. Having the above said features on the trunk and the schema
compliance sort of changes planned to go into the trunk. I don't like to
waste time on those aspects on 1.3 branch.

I am about to send a release plan, it will at least take another month for
the 2.0 release, but will be much more effective the time than spending
another 2 weeks and doing a 1.3 release, with lesser features than trunk.

I agree the 1.3 release has been dragging which is main reason for this
strategy, but I could guarantee that the same thing wont happen for the 2.0
:-)

RE: Synapse 2.0 ??