Posted to general@commons.apache.org by "B. W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com> on 2002/10/19 02:33:37 UTC

Re: SourceCast Trial?

Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> writes:
> Hi,
>
> One of the things that has come out of the reorg lists is the idea that we ge
> some decent project infrastructure going. In case not everyone is aware there
>
> has been a discussion of adopting SourceCast. You can see an early (and
> supposedly clunky) SourceCast in action at www.tigris.org
>
> SourceCast is proprietry but developed by Apache people and large chunks of i
> is opensource and much of it at Jakarta/XML projects. Anyways they have
> offered it to Apache for us to use.
>
> Some people object to it as it is not opensource but I personally think that
> enough of it is. There is no problem and they have said that they will sign
> an agreement that if CollabNet goes belly up we get to keep it or something
> similar. So the end result is that there should not be any undue risk for
> Apache and it would improve our infrastructure greatly.
>
> Anyways if anyone has any better ideas then feel free to jump on reorg list
> and voice them. If anyone has any insurmountable objections then voice them
> now.
>
> Anyways I would like to maybe start trialing the SourceCast software as part
> of Apache Commons. Andrew Oliver has volunteered to help get it on the road
> and I will also help to kick start things though it would be great if some
> other volunteers came forward.
>
> Basically the idea would be to trial the software for Apache and if it fits
> out needs start migrating it to other Apache projects.

+1 Althought I'd much prefer to wait until we can try out Sourcecast
2.0 or 2.5.

1.x (which you can see at http://subversion.tigris.org/) is a bit
lacking, IMO.

-Fitz

Re: SourceCast Trial?

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 10:33, B. W. Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> writes:
> > Hi,
> >
> > One of the things that has come out of the reorg lists is the idea that
> > we ge t
> > some decent project infrastructure going. In case not everyone is aware
> > there
> >
> > has been a discussion of adopting SourceCast. You can see an early (and
> > supposedly clunky) SourceCast in action at www.tigris.org
> >
> > SourceCast is proprietry but developed by Apache people and large chunks
> > of i t
> > is opensource and much of it at Jakarta/XML projects. Anyways they have
> > offered it to Apache for us to use.
> >
> > Some people object to it as it is not opensource but I personally think
> > that enough of it is. There is no problem and they have said that they
> > will sign an agreement that if CollabNet goes belly up we get to keep it
> > or something similar. So the end result is that there should not be any
> > undue risk for Apache and it would improve our infrastructure greatly.
> >
> > Anyways if anyone has any better ideas then feel free to jump on reorg
> > list and voice them. If anyone has any insurmountable objections then
> > voice them now.
> >
> > Anyways I would like to maybe start trialing the SourceCast software as
> > part of Apache Commons. Andrew Oliver has volunteered to help get it on
> > the road and I will also help to kick start things though it would be
> > great if some other volunteers came forward.
> >
> > Basically the idea would be to trial the software for Apache and if it
> > fits out needs start migrating it to other Apache projects.
>
> +1 Althought I'd much prefer to wait until we can try out Sourcecast
> 2.0 or 2.5.
>
> 1.x (which you can see at http://subversion.tigris.org/) is a bit
> lacking, IMO.

Kool. Even so I think it would be good to get Apache people at least familiar
with the layout and setup of the system. Even if we play with the 1.x stream
the knowledge should be mostly transferable to 2.x

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
Sufficiently advanced science is
 indistinguishable from magic"
               -- Arthur C. Clarke

Re: SourceCast Trial?

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
I do not know a great deal yet about the details but my opinion is
generally..  There are always upgrades.  Lets do it... See if it works,
see if folks like it and want to use it...  If not... We know more for
when 2.5 comes out.

Remember NT 3.51 will fix all your security problems....no NT 4.0...no
Win 2k...no XP ... .no...

The point being there is always an upgrade just around the corner.

-andy

--
http://www.superlinksoftware.com - software solutions for business
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document in