Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ashish Kulkarni <ku...@yahoo.com> on 2005/11/08 21:02:02 UTC

[OT] How do we answer, How heavy the application is?

Hi
I have developed a web application using struts, it
has about 50 action class, about 30 servlets for
applet servlet communication and about 90 jsp.
Now there is another person who wants to host this
application and he wants to know "How much heavy the
application is"
So how do i answer him, is there some kind of
measurement we can use to gauge this application, or
how do we know how much amount of memory is it going
to consume.
My best bet is, there wont be more 75 people logged to
this application at any given point

Any suggestions on answering this question

Ashish

Re: [OT] How do we answer, How heavy the application is?

Posted by Murray Collingwood <mu...@focus-computing.com.au>.
I think there are a couple of metrics involved here.

1. Traffic as mentioned by Dave.  Is it all text or are there large images / flash / pdfs
etc?  Try and estimate the typical size of a page (including images etc) and then
estimate the number of pages served per minute in a typical session (remember people
like to click a lot and read a little).  What we are aiming for here is a line speed to
deliver an acceptable end-user response.

2. Memory.  You need to run some typical user sessions and monitor the amount of
RAM consumed on the web server / database server.  (I'm just assuming there is a
database server).  The easiest way is to get the value when the machine is idle and
then start one session at a time.  The first user is probably not a good measure,
however the RAM change between 4 users and 5 users should give you good indication
of the amount of memory consumed per session.

Finally you need some indication of load - and this really depends on how popular the
site will be.  It's a big guess unless you have a captive userlist (ie people who have to
use the site as part of their job).  Personally I would make a conservative approximation
(you never get as many users as you would like) and then a minimum and maximum
values.  This should give you some memory requirements, eg minimum load = 300mb,
typical load = 500mb, maximum load = 1gb.  You will need to do some maths to work
out your required line speed, allowing for a typical 5 second response for the end user
on a 256kbps connection, your server might require 1mbps to handle the load.

At the end of the day there is a lot of guess work until the site is launched, marketed
and being used regularly.  If your estimates are too low you can always upgrade.  If your
estimates are too high then you can always add extra sites to the server.

Cheers
mc

On 8 Nov 2005 at 15:16, Dave Newton wrote:

> Ashish Kulkarni wrote:
>
> >Now there is another person who wants to host this
> >application and he wants to know "How much heavy the
> >application is" So how do i answer him,
> >
> "Eleven."
>
> Personally, I'd leave it at that, but some people want more.
>
> I'd ask him what he really wants to know; is he interested in traffic,
> code, "comprehensibility" stats, etc.
>
> Or you could just say "It's pretty light," based on the size of the
> codebase and low-ish traffic.
>
> Dave

FOCUS Computing - web design
Mob: 0415 24 26 24
murray@focus-computing.com.au
http://www.focus-computing.com.au

Re: [OT] How do we answer, How heavy the application is?

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
On 11/8/05, Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com> wrote:
> Ashish Kulkarni wrote:
>
> >Now there is another person who wants to host this
> >application and he wants to know "How much heavy the
> >application is" So how do i answer him,
> >
> "Eleven."

42.

All boils down to the equipment. Does gasoline-powered V8 Dodge Ram
makes sense as a delivery truck? Ask a european.

Re: [OT] How do we answer, How heavy the application is?

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.