Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Jordon Saardchit <js...@go2.com> on 2009/06/01 19:16:20 UTC

Lucene on NFS/iSCSI

So I've read a lot about nightmares with lucene over shared indices using NFS, and was curious if anyone had any experience running Lucene over iSCSI?  Specifically if the same sort of lock failure issues occur as does with NFS.  I'm specifically looking into multple machines mounted to a SAN via iSCSI with accelerated hardware initiator.

Looking to just get a general idea before investing in the possible solution.

Thanks,
Jordon

Re: Lucene on NFS/iSCSI

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
I don't have any specific experience with iSCSI, so what follows is
speculation...

I think iSCSI, which just routes SCSI commands over TCP/IP to some
remote storage device, is at a much lower level than NFS.  IE, to the
computer this remote device acts like a local device, and therefore
you can install any normal local filesystem on it.

So I'd expect that none of the caveats with NFS apply to iSCSI,
assuming you treat it like a local drive.

If you get interesting performance numbers from using Lucene over
iSCSI, please post back!

Mike