Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Alain RODRIGUEZ <ar...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/04 16:43:56 UTC

Restart node => hinted handoff flood

Hi,

Using C*1.2.2 12 EC2 xLarge cluster.

When I restart a node, if it spend a few minutes down, when I bring it up,
all the cpu are blocked at 100%, even once compactions are disabled,
inducing a very big and intolerable latency in my app. I suspect Hinted
Handoff to be the cause of this. disabling gossip fix the problem, enabling
it again brings the latency back (with a lot of gc, dropped messages...).

Is there a way to disable HH ? Are they responsible for this issue ?

I currently have this node down, any fast insight would be appreciated.

Alain

Re: Restart node => hinted handoff flood

Posted by MichaƂ Michalski <mi...@opera.com>.
My blind guess is: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-5179

In our case the only sensible solution was to pause hints delivery and
disable storing them (both done with a nodetool: pausehandoff and
disablehandoff). Once they TTL'd (3 hours by default I believe?) I
turned HH on again and started to repair. However, problem has returned
on the next day, so I had to do a quick C* upgrade with the version
having this patch applied (we use a "self-built" 1.2.1 with a few
additional patches applied).

M.

Posted by Alain RODRIGUEZ <ar...@gmail.com>.