Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Oleg Ruchovets <or...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/08 16:52:10 UTC

Hbase insertion process cause to region server down.

Hi ,

I run map/reduce job which from reducers writes to hbase. I have to write
8-9 million raws.

  My environment:
  5 servers dual core , 8G ram.
  HDFS -- 9TB

  hadoop has 1000 heap_size ,
  hbase has 2000 heap_size
  zookeeper has 1000 heap_size
  20 map / 16 reducers while running the job

Allmost all the time get such exception

   org.apache.hadoop.hbase.NotServingRegionException:
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.NotServingRegionException: Region URLs_sanity,
20101106_www.homemade-chinese-soups.com/conch-soup.html,1289163460337 closed
   at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegion.obtainRowLock(HRegion.java:1607)
   at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegion.getLock(HRegion.java:1671)
   at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegion.get(HRegion.java:2380)
   at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.get(HRegionServer.java:1731)
   at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor3.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at
   at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseRPC$Server.call(HBaseRPC.java:657)
   at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseServer$Handler.run(HBaseServer.java:915)

Thanks in advance.

Re: Hbase insertion process cause to region server down.

Posted by Oleg Ruchovets <or...@gmail.com>.
As Jonathan said it is normal , I still need to do more tests to be sure
that I hasn't lost the inserted data.

   I paid attention that I got this exceptions during compaction

2010-11-08 18:28:53,663 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.io.hfile.LruBlockCache: Block cache LRU eviction
started.  Attempting to free 52292232 bytes
2010-11-08 18:28:53,666 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.io.hfile.LruBlockCache: Block cache LRU eviction
completed. Freed 52309408 bytes.  Priority Sizes: Single=57.505157MB

2010-11-08 18:29:22,111 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegion:
Starting compaction on region
URLs_sanity,20101107_n/gs/34468.html,1289233112752
2010-11-08 18:29:22,141 DEBUG org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.Store:
Compaction size of globalcounters: 65.5m; Skipped 1 file(s), size: 41262334
2010-11-08 18:29:22,141 DEBUG org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.Store:
Started compaction of 3 file(s)  into
/hbase/URLs_sanity/compaction.dir/613365657, seqid=2855632301
2010-11-08 18:29:22,896 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer: MSG_REGION_OPEN:
URLs_sanity,20101107_gallery.mobile9.com/f/1139457/,1289233750914
2010-11-08 18:29:22,897 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer: Worker: MSG_REGION_OPEN:
URLs_sanity,20101107_gallery/1139457/,1289233750914
2010-11-08 18:29:22,897 DEBUG org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegion:
Opening region URLs_sanity,20101107_bl/1139457/,1289233750914,
encoded=1345660410

   My questions are:
    1) what happens with insertion process when the job got  NSRE exception?
    2) Could compaction cause to additional load to the system? and if yes
what is the recommendation regarding
compaction parameters? In my case reducers inserts to hbase almost 3 hours.
    3) In addition such behavior I got only in one machine , but I have 5.

Oleg.

Posted by Jonathan Gray <jg...@facebook.com>.
Yes, it is normal and expected to get some NSREs if your regions are splitting or there is rebalancing going on.

They should not fail the task unless for some reason the client is never able to locate the region.  If this is the case, something is wrong with the cluster.

JG

Posted by Hari Sreekumar <hs...@clickable.com>.
Hi Jonathan,

Posted by Jonathan Gray <jg...@facebook.com>.