Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Morgan Davis <md...@cts.com> on 1997/07/13 23:20:01 UTC

config/861: NCSA Compatibility with VirtualHost

>Number:         861
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       NCSA Compatibility with VirtualHost
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
NCSA's <VirtualHost> directive allows for a feature I suggested to Brandon Long
a few years ago where one can specify the severity of a failure in parsing
the <VirtualHost> section.  This is the optional "Optional" designator:

<VirtualHost address Optional>

If provided, any error during parsing is totally ignored and the server
starts up normally.  If Optional is omitted, any error causes the server to
fail startup and doesn't run at all.

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
This feature gives the admin the ability to control startup errors on
a host-by-host basis.  Since we run our servers with vhosts all configured
as Optional (and that behavior is Apache's default) we could omit the
Optional designator from our configs.  But if a site needs control over
both behaviors they're out of luck