Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/01 05:41:50 UTC

Re: Committer Voting and Vetos

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 10:28 AM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 3:46 AM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > To the concrete question, the Subversion project never calls a strict
> > [VOTE] for new committers or PMC members. We discuss first, and that sets
> > the direction. People throw out +1 messages, but that is "sure, make it
> so"
> > rather than a true vote. Whenever somebody says "wait a minute", then we
> > do. We don't have formal rules around this stuff, since a general goal of
> > consensus is so ingrained into the community.
> >

> The nice thing about the vote is that there is a [RESULT] message to link
> to.  What does the Subversion project link to in the account request?

We don't provide a link. There is no reason for Infrastructure to
second-guess account requests from Officers or ASF Members, so that link is
optional. *Should* a question ever arise, then it is easy enough to provide
background information.

Cheers,
-g

Re: Committer Voting and Vetos

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 01.10.2014 05:41, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 10:28 AM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 3:46 AM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> To the concrete question, the Subversion project never calls a strict
>>> [VOTE] for new committers or PMC members. We discuss first, and that sets
>>> the direction. People throw out +1 messages, but that is "sure, make it
>> so"
>>> rather than a true vote. Whenever somebody says "wait a minute", then we
>>> do. We don't have formal rules around this stuff, since a general goal of
>>> consensus is so ingrained into the community.
>>>
>> The nice thing about the vote is that there is a [RESULT] message to link
>> to.  What does the Subversion project link to in the account request?
>>
> We don't provide a link. There is no reason for Infrastructure to
> second-guess account requests from Officers or ASF Members, so that link is
> optional. *Should* a question ever arise, then it is easy enough to provide
> background information.

Yup. I see the link field there as being mainly for the benefit of the
Incubator and podlings.

-- Brane