Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Sergey Didenko <se...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/23 20:41:13 UTC

search hints for Tapestry 5

Let's share how we search how to do certain things in Tapestry 5.

That is my sequence:

- search Guide. Google "site:tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5.1/guide keywords"
- search Nabble, Google "intitle:tapestry intitle:user site:nabble.com keywords"
- search Wiki. Google "site:wiki.apache.org/tapestry/ keywords"
- search the internet. Google "(T5 OR tapestry5 OR "tapestry 5") keywords"

- try to implement what you need in the most obvious way. What I like
about Tapestry is that this approach often works.

- ask this mailing list

Could you add your hints? Is this useful for you?

Regards, Sergey.

Re: search hints for Tapestry 5

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
I let gmail accumulate things from the user list and search that
first.Admittedly,
it takes some time to build up a backlog of mail, but if
nothing's in my gmail archive *then* I start in on the other methods...

Erick

Posted by Geoffrey Wiseman <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 8:24 AM, Newham, Cameron<ca...@bl.uk> wrote:

> One of the downsides of open source: the documentation is rubbish or
> non-existent because geek programmers expect you to understand their
> products source!  :)
>
> (ok, I'm generalising, but there is an element of truth  :-)

Talking about javadoc Tapestry does an excellent work.

Cheers
--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: search hints for Tapestry 5

Posted by Jun Tsai <ju...@gmail.com>.
Very NICE!

2009/7/24 Ben Gidley <be...@gidley.co.uk>

> I use this
> http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=016399560855919712413%3Awdbpuwqto88 - it
> is a google coop search engine that searches the things listed in this
> thread (and a few more)
> It uses mark mail rather than nabble (as it
> is easier to limit google to right mailing lists on markmail.
>

> Ben Gidley
>
> www.gidley.co.uk
> ben@gidley.co.uk
>

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 7:24 AM, Newham, Cameron <cameron.newham@bl.uk
> >wrote:
>
> > One of the downsides of open source: the documentation is rubbish or
> > non-existent because geek programmers expect you to understand their
> > products source!  :)
> >
> > (ok, I'm generalising, but there is an element of truth  :-)
> >

> > BTW, thanks Sergey for raising the issue of how to find information.
> > Perhaps one day there will be a book on T5 (hint hint) or maybe Mr
> > Kolesnikov will update his?

regards,
Jun Tsai

Re: search hints for Tapestry 5

Posted by Geoff Callender <ge...@gmail.com>.
Very nice, Ben. Could you add http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au:8080
  so it searches the examples on the demo site too?

Geoff

Posted by Ben Gidley <be...@gidley.co.uk>.
yes it is - I just spent a few minutes going through all the settings to see
if that can be turned on - but it looks like it can't.

Ben Gidley

www.gidley.co.uk
ben@gidley.co.uk

Posted by Sergey Didenko <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ben Gidley <be...@gidley.co.uk>.
I use this

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
Em Thu, 23 Jul 2009 17:20:26 -0300, Juan E. Maya <ma...@gmail.com>
escreveu:

> Well, it's a bit more manual. :) For example: If you want to create a
> new validator then there is no better way to do it that checking the
> way the core validators are done. That's what i meant.

There is: figure out what class/interface does something and then use your
IDE to find all usages. In Eclipse, Control-Shift-G.

Posted by "Juan E. Maya" <ma...@gmail.com>.
Well, it's a bit more manual. :) For example: If you want to create a
new validator then there is no better way to do it that checking the
way the core validators are done. That's what i meant.

Posted by Sergey Didenko <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Juan E. Maya" <ma...@gmail.com>.