Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Razvan Rosca <ra...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/01 16:28:17 UTC

Restricting IP usage & Upgrading CloudStack & Live storage migration

Hello,

We're thinking about switching from our current Xen+Proxmox setup into
something more "advanced", and we're really considering CloudStack as one
of our best/main candidates.

Right off the bat here are the first questions:

   - in our current setup users can freely use each other's IP address,
   because the software stack doesn't enforce any limits (or requires us to
   manually edit stuff each time a VM is created). Does CloudStack have the
   same behavior? What we need is kinda simple: allow a specific VM to use a
   specific IP, and only that IP.
   - does CloudStack have the same "no-upgrade" policy as OpenStack?
   Ugrading OpenStack was/is nearly impossible, so I'm wondering if this is
   the case with CloudStack as well.
   - does CloudStack support "live-migration" between local storages? Xen
   does it, and does it really well. Again, I'm referring to local storage
   (local HDD/SSD/NVMe), not a central Ceph/Gluster/NFS store.

Thank you,
Razvan Rosca

Skype: razvan.rosca
Tel: +40 731 059 660
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/razvanrosca/
Facebook: https://fb.com/razvanrosca.com

Re: Restricting IP usage & Upgrading CloudStack & Live storage migration

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/commit/bf209405e7d60b6a5abf87677d368c429359d98a
,
for KVM and ROOT volumes only (didn't test it myself).

Andrija Panić

Re: Restricting IP usage & Upgrading CloudStack & Live storage migration

Posted by Razvan Rosca <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hey,

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Hi,

Posted by Razvan Rosca <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hey,

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Hi,

In Proxmox you could use the "IP Filter" option + "Firewall in" options to restrict IP address stealing. /offtopic

If you go for a Cloudstack Advanced Zone with Security Groups, then your VMs can get 1 or more public IP addresses and this is enforced automatically via iptables and ebtables; other VMs won't be able to use the IPs.
Beware of limitations though, IPv6 support is not really there yet and you can only connect a VM into one network, so if you want to have a 2nd "private" network, that's not yet possible with Cloudstack.

Posted by Razvan Rosca <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hey Paul,

Posted by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Razvan,

- There are a few different models that you can use.  But in short - 'yes' you can have a model where an IP is allocated to a VM and the VM keeps it.
- No, we spend a lot of time making sure that upgrades between all versions work. Our versioning system requires that the API is backward compatible and we can only break that with a major version upgrade (say 4.x to 5.x )and that hasn't happened under Apache yet
- Yes CloudStack does support Xen Live Storage migration - http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/en/latest/adminguide/storage.html?highlight=live%20storage#storage-overview

Cheers

Paul.

paul.angus@shapeblue.com