Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by John Kirkland <jk...@nowdocs.com> on 2000/09/06 05:51:01 UTC

mod_perl handler blocks in Windows NT

All,

I found the enclosed message on dejanews dated 7/5/1999.  The replies
to the message indicated that it is a known problem with mod_perl in
Windows.

Well... today, I learned that I am suffering from the same problem as
this poor soul below.  I am running Apache/1.3.12 with mod_perl/1.23
under Windows NT Server 4.0 SP6a.  When running a time consuming
process within mod_perl, the Apache  server will not handle any other
requests.  Even /index.html will not come up until the handler is
finished serving the time consuming request.

I've started down the path of converting to CGI, but I wish this
weren't necessary.  Is this still a known problem?

Regards,
John Kirkland
jpk@bl.org

Enclosed message:
---------------------

Hi,

I've noticed that a mod_perl handler blocks the Apache
server while processing the request.
That is, while *one* mod_perl handler is active, the server
does not accept any other concurrent request!

Is this a bug?

Please find below the test handler. Executed as CGI script,
this doesn't cause any problems -- as one would expect, the
server doesn't block.

Any hint is appreciated.

Thanks,

-- Oliver

PS: Here's the script:
--->
package Apache::test;
use strict;
use Apache;
sub handler {
  $r->send_http_header();
  $r->print("<html><body>");
  $r->print("XXX");
  sleep(10); ### simulating time-consuming script
  $r->print("</body></html>");
  return Apache::OK;
}
<---