Posted to user@tuscany.apache.org by emiliano grigis <em...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/21 11:35:15 UTC

Problem importing schema

Hi,
I have a problem with an xml file based on a schema with a type that is
imported from another schema. I think that the problem it's into the
schemaLocation parameter on the define method.

Of course if I use the value null for both the schemaLocation, like:

            XSDHelper.INSTANCE.define(baseXsd, null);
            XSDHelper.INSTANCE.define(sampleXsd, null);

then I receive a

FeatureNotFoundException: Feature 'baseElement' not found. (http:///temp.xml,
4, 18)

exception when loading the xml document.

If I specify the schemaLocation option like this:

            XSDHelper.INSTANCE.define(baseXsd, "
http://www.example.org/BaseSchema");
            XSDHelper.INSTANCE.define(sampleXsd, null);

then I have a

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
org.apache.tuscany.sdo.util.resource.SDOXMLResourceImpl

without further explanations.

Many thanks in advance
Emiliano

The Java code:

            //base.xsd
            //Schema with only a type definition
            InputStream baseXsd = Thread.currentThread()
                    .getContextClassLoader().getResourceAsStream(
                            "base.xsd");

            //sample.xsd
            //Schema that import the type definition from the other xsd
            InputStream sampleXsd = Thread.currentThread()
                    .getContextClassLoader().getResourceAsStream(
                            "sample.xsd");

            //sample.xml
            //document conform to the sample.xsd
            InputStream sampleXml = Thread.currentThread()
                    .getContextClassLoader().getResourceAsStream(
                            "sample.xml");

            //Load the Schemas
            XSDHelper.INSTANCE.define(baseXsd, "
http://www.example.org/BaseSchema");
            XSDHelper.INSTANCE.define(sampleXsd, null);
            System.out.println("-------------->>> Schemas read");

            //Load xml
            XMLDocument xDoc = XMLHelper.INSTANCE.load(sampleXml);
            System.out.println("-------------->>> Xml read");

The base.xsd source:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<schema xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" targetNamespace="
http://www.example.org/BaseSchema" xmlns:base="
http://www.example.org/BaseSchema" >
    <complexType name="baseType">
        <sequence>
            <element name="baseElement" type="string" minOccurs="1"
maxOccurs="1"/>
        </sequence>
    </complexType>
</schema>

The sample.xsd source:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<schema xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" targetNamespace="
http://www.example.org/SampleSchema" xmlns:sample="
http://www.example.org/SampleSchema" xmlns:base="
http://www.example.org/BaseSchema">
    <import namespace="http://www.example.org/BaseSchema" schemaLocation="
base.xsd"/>
    <complexType name="sampleType">
        <sequence>
             <element name="sampleElement" type="base:baseType"></element>
        </sequence>
    </complexType>
    <element name="myElement" type="sample:sampleType"></element>
</schema>

The sample.xml source:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<sample:myElement xmlns:base="http://www.example.org/BaseSchema"
xmlns:sample="http://www.example.org/SampleSchema" xmlns:xsi="
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="
http://www.example.org/SampleSchema sample.xsd
http://www.example.org/BaseSchema base.xsd ">
  <sampleElement>
    <baseElement>this is my content</baseElement>
  </sampleElement>
</sample:myElement>

Re: Problem importing schema

Posted by Emiliano Grigis <em...@gmail.com>.
First of all, many thanks for your help...
Now it's working using only one define for the sample.xsd.

So the correct Java code is:

            //sample.xsd
            //Schema that import the type definition from base.xsd
            URL sampleXsdURL = Thread.currentThread
().getContextClassLoader()
                    .getResource("sample.xsd");
            InputStream sampleXsd = sampleXsdURL.openStream();

            //sample.xml
            //document conform to the sample.xsd
            InputStream sampleXml = Thread.currentThread()
                    .getContextClassLoader().getResourceAsStream("sample.xml
");

            //Load the Schemas
            XSDHelper.INSTANCE.define(sampleXsd, sampleXsdURL.toString());
            System.out.println("-------------->>> Schemas read");

            //Load xml
            XMLDocument xDoc = XMLHelper.INSTANCE.load(sampleXml);
            System.out.println("-------------->>> Xml read");

What do you think about adding your sample lines somewhere, maybe on the
Tuscany Wiki?
It can be helpful for other people... together with the hint of looking
inside the JUnit stuff!

Thanks again
Emiliano

Re: Problem importing schema

Posted by Frank Budinsky <fr...@ca.ibm.com>.
On more thing that I forgot to mention is that you don't actually need to
call XSDHelper.define() for base.xsd because it will be automatically
defined when you define simple.xsd (because of the import).

Frank.

"emiliano grigis" <em...@gmail.com> wrote on 12/21/2006 05:35:15
AM:

Posted by Frank Budinsky <fr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Emiliano,

I guess the error messages could be a little better :-) The problem is
that when you have a file with imports, the import in the .xsd file
typically includes a relative file name for where to find the .xsd file
with the imported types in it. To make that work, the loader needs the
file location (schemaLocation) for the referencing (main) file. That's why
you can't pass null for the second argument of XSDHelper.define() when you
are loading a .xsd file with imports.

The other way you tried to do it:

  XSDHelper.INSTANCE.define(baseXsd, "http://www.example.org/BaseSchema");

didn't work either because you were passing a "schema namespace URI", not
the "schema location".

If you look at some of the JUnit tests in the sdo impl project you'll see
the recommended pattern for calling define. For example,
SimpleDynamicTestCase does this:

        URL url = getClass().getResource(TEST_MODEL);
        InputStream inputStream = url.openStream();
        XSDHelper.INSTANCE.define(inputStream, url.toString());

It passes in the file location that corresponds to the InputStream being
loaded.