Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by "Matthew M. Gamble" <mg...@thoughtfire.ca> on 2016/01/05 00:00:24 UTC

Re: Cannot create VPC

Sure – I just recreated the issue and uploaded a full log snippet from the management server: http://pastebin.com/MLR9JYQ3

From: Glenn Wagner <gl...@shapeblue.com>>
Date: Monday, January 4, 2016 at 2:25 PM
To: "users@cloudstack.apache.org<ma...@cloudstack.apache.org>" <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Cannot create VPC

Hi,

Could you send us a big section of the log file , before and after the error

Thanks

Glenn Wagner
Senior Consultant, South Africa

M: +27 73 917 4111

[ShapeBlue]<http://www.shapeblue.com>
Glenn Wagner
Senior Consultant       ,       ShapeBlue

d:       | s: +27 21 527 0091<tel:|%20s:%20+27%2021%20527%200091>        |      m:      +27 73 917 4111<tel:+27%2073%20917%204111>

e:      glenn.wagner@shapeblue.com | t: <mailto:glenn.wagner@shapeblue.com%20|%20t:>     |      w:      www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com>

a:      2nd Floor, Oudehuis Centre, 122 Main Rd, Somerset West Cape Town 7130 South Africa

[cid:image3c9f62.png@b7e7b1d4.4e889590]

Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.
This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.

Posted by Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
Agree with Erik - my understanding is that statement applies to tunnelling.

Regards,

Dag Sonstebo

[ShapeBlue]<http://www.shapeblue.com>
Dag Sonstebo
ShapeBlue

d:       | s: +44 203 603 0540<tel:|%20s:%20+44%20203%20603%200540>

e:      Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.com | t: <mailto:Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.com%20|%20t:>     |      w:      www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com>

a:      53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden London WC2N 4HS UK

[cid:image16ede8.png@09af80f8.4391c54a]

Re: Cannot create VPC

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cannot create VPC

Posted by "Matthew M. Gamble" <mg...@thoughtfire.ca>.
Solved my own problem, I think.

From what I can tell, the issue relates back to my decision to use openvswitch when setting up KVM on my hosts. If you read the install guide for KVM (http://cloudstack-installation.readthedocs.org/en/latest/hypervisor/kvm.html) it goes over two different network setups – plain old bridging, and openvswitch.  Reading that page, and having used openvswitch before, I decided to deploy it over traditional bridging.  The network becomes software defined, and life is good.

Well, except if you want to create a VPC. If you go to the documentation page for the OVS plugin (http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/en/latest/networking/ovs-plugin.html) and read all the way to the very very bottom it says "OVS plugin does not work with VPC at that time”.

To test my theory, I built another host, setup the networking the bridge way, and successfully deployed a VPC. Am I correct in my assumption that because I used OVS to setup the host networking that was the cause of my VPC deployment issues?

If so, shouldn’t the KVM setup docs be updated to clearly state that if you use OVS then VPCs break?  Or is it supposed to work and I found a bug?

Re: Cannot create VPC

Posted by "Matthew M. Gamble" <mg...@thoughtfire.ca>.