Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Adam Marcionek <am...@seven10storage.com> on 2019/01/15 22:18:05 UTC

Thrift Maven Plugin on Linux

I'm wondering if anyone uses the thrift maven plugin with any success on Linux?  A couple years ago, we created an alternate version which did have success. It modified the Thrift.compile() function to put /usr/local/lib as the LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that it could find the thrift install.  Would this be the best way to accomplish this?  If not, any suggestions?

If so, we're happy to submit an issue and PR.  Here is the commit that fixes it (its forked from the original repo, but we'll redo it in the new place.)  https://github.com/seven10builder/maven-thrift-plugin/commit/ff83d369866a203ee8c5e0a6cc9d65db2b8199f3  But I have a couple questions:

  1.  Should I create an issue first in JIRA?
  2.  Is it OK that we added new dependencies to get this to work, specifically the commons exec classes?

Thanks for any help,

Adam Marcionek

RE: Thrift Maven Plugin on Linux

Posted by Adam Marcionek <am...@seven10storage.com>.
Hi Randy,

You know what, I was just perusing the Thrift documentation (https://thrift.apache.org/lib/cpp) and saw this:

On Linux, the best way to do this is to ensure that /usr/local/lib is in your /etc/ld.so.conf and then run /sbin/ldconfig.

I'm thinking we may not have done this. So I will follow those instructions and if it works, consider this issue closed. Thanks!

Adam

I have used the old Maven plug in as recently as 2018 on Thrift v0.10
and did not have any trouble on Ubuntu 16.04.

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 7:36 PM James E. King III <jk...@apache.org><mailto:jking@apache.org%3e> wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> Definitely create an issue in Jira and submit a PR. Things in contrib/ are
> in there either due to licensing or due to inactivity/inaction to
> maintain. The latter can be solved with more active development.
>
> - Jim
>
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 5:18 PM Adam Marcionek <
> amarcionek@seven10storage.com><mailto:amarcionek@seven10storage.com%3e> wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering if anyone uses the thrift maven plugin with any success on
> > Linux? A couple years ago, we created an alternate version which did have
> > success. It modified the Thrift.compile() function to put /usr/local/lib as
> > the LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that it could find the thrift install. Would this
> > be the best way to accomplish this? If not, any suggestions?
> >
> > If so, we're happy to submit an issue and PR. Here is the commit that
> > fixes it (its forked from the original repo, but we'll redo it in the new
> > place.)
> > https://github.com/seven10builder/maven-thrift-plugin/commit/ff83d369866a203ee8c5e0a6cc9d65db2b8199f3
> > But I have a couple questions:
> >

> > 1. Should I create an issue first in JIRA?
> > 2. Is it OK that we added new dependencies to get this to work,
> > specifically the commons exec classes?
> >
> > Thanks for any help,
> >
> > Adam Marcionek

Randy Abernethy
Managing Partner
RX-M, LLC
randy.abernethy@rx-m.com<ma...@rx-m.com>
o 415-800-2922
c 415-624-6447

________________________________

Re: Thrift Maven Plugin on Linux

Posted by Randy Abernethy <ra...@rx-m.com>.

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 7:36 PM James E. King III <jk...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> Definitely create an issue in Jira and submit a PR.  Things in contrib/ are
> in there either due to licensing or due to inactivity/inaction to
> maintain.  The latter can be solved with more active development.
>
> - Jim
>
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 5:18 PM Adam Marcionek <
> amarcionek@seven10storage.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering if anyone uses the thrift maven plugin with any success on
> > Linux?  A couple years ago, we created an alternate version which did have
> > success. It modified the Thrift.compile() function to put /usr/local/lib as
> > the LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that it could find the thrift install.  Would this
> > be the best way to accomplish this?  If not, any suggestions?
> >
> > If so, we're happy to submit an issue and PR.  Here is the commit that
> > fixes it (its forked from the original repo, but we'll redo it in the new
> > place.)
> > https://github.com/seven10builder/maven-thrift-plugin/commit/ff83d369866a203ee8c5e0a6cc9d65db2b8199f3
> > But I have a couple questions:
> >

> >   1.  Should I create an issue first in JIRA?
> >   2.  Is it OK that we added new dependencies to get this to work,
> > specifically the commons exec classes?
> >
> > Thanks for any help,
> >
> > Adam Marcionek

Randy Abernethy