Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by todd tredeau <tl...@wiserlabz.com> on 2002/02/21 04:02:21 UTC

Jetspeed and Tomcat 4

I want to use Jetspeed with Tomcat 4.02 and JVM 1.3.1. I don't want to
modify the "standard" Tomcat. I don't think you should have to modify
your server. The theory should be the software can be made to work with
the server, not visa versa... anyway..

Q: Has anyone managed to get Jetspeed working with TC4
Q: What modifications or build procedure to do this.

greetings

todd
http://www.wiserlabz.com
collaborative effort to promote Novell and Open Source Solutions

Re: Jetspeed and Tomcat 4

Posted by Carlos <ca...@cvc.edu>.
On 02/20/02 19:02, "todd tredeau" <tl...@wiserlabz.com> wrote:

> I want to use Jetspeed with Tomcat 4.02 and JVM 1.3.1. I don't want to
> modify the "standard" Tomcat. I don't think you should have to modify
> your server. The theory should be the software can be made to work with
> the server, not visa versa... anyway..
>
> Q: Has anyone managed to get Jetspeed working with TC4
Yes, I am runing Jetspeed to evaluate what modifications I need to make

> Q: What modifications or build procedure to do this.
None

--
Carlos E. Araya
---+ WebCT Administrator/Trainer

email               carlos@cvc.edu
web                 http://www.cvc1.org/ (work)
                    http://www.silverwolf-net.net (personal)
phone               408 257 0420 (work)
PGP Fingerprint:    E629 5DFD 7EAE 4995 E9D7  3D2F 5A9F 0CE7 DFE7 1756

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons....for you are crunchy and  taste
good with ketchup and mayonnaise.."

Re: Jetspeed and Tomcat 4

Posted by todd tredeau <tl...@wiserlabz.com>.
Hi;
    I agree with what your saying, and as we know, spec change, and
things can get sticky. No negative was intended here.. You have some
suggestions. I usually build off the nightly, I can play around with
configurations, that's expected... Some suggestions would be good.. I
think it's great product, and best I have seen in the category, which is
why I'm promoting it.

David Sean Taylor wrote:

>Jetspeed works great with Tomcat 4 (Catalina)
>Been using it for a long time now.
>Whats the problem?
>
>>your server. The theory should be the software can be made to
>>work with
>>the server, not visa versa... anyway..
>>

>Im not sure if I agree with that statement.
>Both the application server and the servlet must conform to a contract:
>the servlet api standard.
>Could you please explain how Jetspeed is breaking this contract? I am saying Jetspeed breaks this contract, however, I as a non-programmer, learning programmer would expect a build "for" tomcat4 or tomcat3 should work with minimal tweaking... If as I see people talking about moving this jar and that jar to other directies, etc.. in tomcat can I would imagine come down later to other issues, with other programs.. I hope that's simple enough... there been a lot of chat about this, but I haven't seen any answers that I can digest..
>AFAIK, we are doing our part in following the standard servlet api. I agree, great project and great teamwork...
>
>The goal is "write once deploy anywhere"
>Minor problems come in since the spec is open to interpretation by
>application servers. Yes, I agree... this is sort of what I'm saying. If you try to be all things to all people, it can end up quite a cluge..
>The differences in interpretation is where the problems begin.
>Overall though, the problems are usually relatively minor. YES, but minor for a programmer is a week or a month for a non-programmer..
>
>Ensuring that it works on Tomcat, the ref.impl., doesn't guarantee it
>will work straight from the war elsewhere.
>Tomcat is just another interpretation of the spec.
>One problem is that Jetspeed writes to the db, log files, and psml all
>inside the war.... not sure what your saying here... I exand my wars normally..
>

>What happens if the war isn't expanded to the file system by the
>app.server?
>>From what I can understand from the spec., expanding to the file system
>is optional.
>
>Thanks for any advice you can give... for how to configure, or what needs to be changes specifically.

todd

RE: Jetspeed and Tomcat 4

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.