Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ben Laurie <be...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk> on 1996/02/14 17:45:59 UTC

Real World Webserver Performance

It occurs to me that the best measure of Webserver performance is to examine
the facts in the real world. The easy way to accomplish this would be to
run a survey. The questions to ask, I imagine, would be:

1. Server s/w, version
2. OS, version, kernel configuration (nonstandard parts thereof)
3. Processor, speed
4. RAM
5. Disk occupied by web pages (size, number of files)
6. Number of hits/day
7. Number of MB/day
8. Processor load (min, max, ave) [if there's a decent way to measure this].
9. Response time for a local minimal page load.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ben.

London, England.

Re: Real World Webserver Performance

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Wed, 14 Feb 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:
> It occurs to me that the best measure of Webserver performance is to examine
> the facts in the real world. The easy way to accomplish this would be to
> run a survey. The questions to ask, I imagine, would be:
>
> 1. Server s/w, version
> 2. OS, version, kernel configuration (nonstandard parts thereof)
> 3. Processor, speed
> 4. RAM
> 5. Disk occupied by web pages (size, number of files)
> 6. Number of hits/day
> 7. Number of MB/day
> 8. Processor load (min, max, ave) [if there's a decent way to measure this].
> 9. Response time for a local minimal page load.
>
> Any thoughts?

Our webserver is current I/O bound, and just about anything you can think
of affects I/O.  We found out today most of the I/O had nothing to do
with user-level disk accesses, but instead with file last-accessed time
updating.  Or so we think.  :)  Every 30 seconds, when the disk cache is
flushed, we see a huge spike in I/O, which constant running of "sync"
eliminates, so we'll see tomorrow at 11am PST (our heaviest time and the
only time we have a problem) if turning that off helps things.

The point is that there are many other hardware and software related
variables when looking at server performance.  Any benchmarking suite
*must* only allow comparisons between the exact same hardware/software
combination (down to the vendor of the disk controller card) and the
exact same tests.  Netscape boasts of getting 40 million hits a day, but
they don't say if that's one box or 40....

	Brian