Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> on 2006/08/02 10:05:40 UTC

Reconstructed FOP logo for high quality printing

Yesterday, I've reconstructed the FOP logo because the Illustrator and
SVG file we have is not suitable for high quality output (gradients made
of a set of differently shaded shapes, pixelation effects in the feather
and the text). I did not manage to get my hands on the exact same font
that was used by Tobias Müller but I think I got a reasonably close one
(Zapf Humnst). At any rate the original font was some variant of Hermann
Zapf's Optima font. Only the P is slightly different (on the top) and
the bottom of the F and the P are curved in my variant while they are
straight in Tobias Müller's. I also replaced the feather with the
original used in the main ASF logo.

The logo is here: http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/fop/logo/

OK if I check in and use the new variant or is it too far from the
original?

BTW, the SVG currently doesn't produce the right result if you use it in
FO to create a PDF using FOP. There are problems with the gradients. The
motivation for reconstructing the logo was actually to have a
high-quality version that I can use to create a FOP poster for OpenExpo
[1][2]. Either I have to fix the gradient support or I can't do the
poster using FOP which would have been rather cool.

[1] http://www.openexpo.ch
[2] http://wiki.openexpo.ch/index.php?title=Apache_FOP

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Reconstructed FOP logo for high quality printing

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Ok, the gradient bug is gone. Actually, the gradients were fine in the
PDFTranscoder. Only when painted inside FO documents they were wrong.
Same for links. I've been able to fix both:

Now, there's a tiny detail I've just found: In the logo.jpg file (which
is also used on our website), the feather lies under the "O" (of "FOP"),
while in logo2.ai and logo2.svg the feather lies in the foreground.
Looking closer at [1] it seems that the original FOP logo also contained
a few more details. For example, the ink pot and the shadows seem much
finer. Now, the problem is that Scott Hofmann's mail address bounces so
I can't ask him for the original anymore. Does anyone know what the
original by Tobias Müller looked like. Did he have the same inkpot
already?

[1] http://www.tkachenko.com/blog/archives/000016.html

Posted by Web Maestro Clay <we...@mac.com>.
On Aug 3, 2006, at 8:05 AM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> On 03.08.2006 16:51:20 Web Maestro Clay wrote:
>> +1 from me... nice job.
>
> Thanks.
>
>> (although I would prefer the issues ironed out...)
>
> Do you mean the not quite identical font or the gradient bug in
> PDFGraphics2D?

The gradient bug... :-p

Clay Leeds
webmaestro@mac.com

-- HH Dalai Lama of Tibet

Re: Reconstructed FOP logo for high quality printing

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

Posted by Web Maestro Clay <we...@mac.com>.
On Aug 2, 2006, at 1:05 AM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> The logo is here: http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/fop/logo/
>
> OK if I check in and use the new variant or is it too far from the
> original?
>
> BTW, the SVG currently doesn't produce the right result if you use
> it in
> FO to create a PDF using FOP. There are problems with the
> gradients. The
> motivation for reconstructing the logo was actually to have a
> high-quality version that I can use to create a FOP poster for
> OpenExpo
> [1][2]. Either I have to fix the gradient support or I can't do the
> poster using FOP which would have been rather cool.
>
> [1] http://www.openexpo.ch
> [2] http://wiki.openexpo.ch/index.php?title=Apache_FOP
>

> Jeremias Maerki

+1 from me... nice job.