Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Jim McLaughlin <jj...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/20 03:41:48 UTC

Postal Bar Code Add on - US

Running Open Office (OO)  4.0.1 with all updates current up to 19 Feb 2014.

OS is Windows 7 with all updates up to 19 Feb 2014.

16 gig memory, 4 TB disk space.

Long ago I used Word Perfect 8.0 which had a  built in feature for adding a
US postal service
bar code either below the typed Postal Zip Code, or atop the first line of
the address, when printing either shipping labels or standard business size
envelopes.  It was a very useful feature.

I have looked in vain for an analogous feature within OO  4.0.1, but not
yet been able to locate one, either within OO, or as an Add On or Plug in.

Can anyone here direct me to such a  feature, either native to OO, or as an
add on or plug in.

Thank you.

Jim McLaughlin

Re: Postal Bar Code Add on - US

Posted by Jim McLaughlin <jj...@gmail.com>.
Mr. Jordan -

Thank you for the information.

I had never thought of that with respect to the USPS.

Back when I used the WP 8 feature, it seemed that mail with the barcode for
the nine digit zip did result in a  one full day faster delivery.

There was once upon a  time before I retired as the Secretary of a hobby
group that I did have 800 or so pieces of mail to send as business or bulk
rate stuff.  But that was probably 15 - 20 years ago.

The fellow who is now performing that function for the group posts it to
our websiter and E mail the stuff.

Still, I will miss the bar code for the 9 digit zip on the envelopes /
mailing labels.  Some how, it just looks better, more complete and
professional, with the bar code for trhe 9 digit zip.

Thank you again for the information.

I guess my age is showing.

Jim McLaughlin

Re: Postal Bar Code Add on - US