Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com> on 2008/05/09 05:24:12 UTC

Reducing dependence on System properties

Hi All

In the past, we have been relying a bit too heavily on using System
properties.. However, I think we should reduce these to the bare minimum
(e.g. to switch to a buffered Pipe implementation on Unix, or native
Pipes in Windows), and not have code everywhere to even pick up the
synapse.xml etc from a system property for convenience. Thus I would
like to make this change before the next QA build.. As I will not have
much time before end of today, I am planning to complete this at night
and/or the weekend.. Hence can we thus push the next QA build to Monday?

asankha

Re: Reducing dependence on System properties

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Asankha,

I think this is a good improvement. When synapse is running as a war inside
a servlet container these system properties might conflict and hence this is
more like a required change that we have to deal with ASAP.

There fore I am +1 on doing these modifications for this release.

We can move the QA build 2 to Monday if there is no objection from any
others in the community and do the code freeze on Monday.

Thanks,
Ruwan

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Asankha C. Perera <as...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> In the past, we have been relying a bit too heavily on using System
> properties.. However, I think we should reduce these to the bare minimum
> (e.g. to switch to a buffered Pipe implementation on Unix, or native Pipes
> in Windows), and not have code everywhere to even pick up the synapse.xml
> etc from a system property for convenience. Thus I would like to make this
> change before the next QA build.. As I will not have much time before end of
> today, I am planning to complete this at night and/or the weekend.. Hence
> can we thus push the next QA build to Monday?
>
> asankha

Ruwan Linton

Re: Reducing dependence on System properties

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Hi Andreas

Andreas Veithen wrote:
> +1
>
> I started to build the Debian package (see SYNAPSE-283) and I had the
> same thought than you. So I totally agree with your analysis. You can
> count on me during the weekend to help with this.

I created SYNAPSE-302 for this, and moved out all dependencies on system
properties from the core module. Now Synapse requires the axis2 repo,
axis2.xml path, synapse home directory, synapse.xml path and the resolve
root to start. Please see the updates synapse.sh for changes.. Hope the
Debian packaging will be easier now..

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@skynet.be>.
+1

I started to build the Debian package (see SYNAPSE-283) and I had the
same thought than you. So I totally agree with your analysis. You can
count on me during the weekend to help with this.

Andreas