Posted to user@ranger.apache.org by Sanket Gaykar <sa...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/04 12:12:12 UTC

ranger fails to connect with hive metastore

Hi,
We have a dedicate instance for Apache Ranger, where we run the
ranger-admin service, also we have installed the Ranger hive plugin on the
instance where HiveServer2 is running. Below are the configurations we have:

   1. Ranger(Ranger-Admin) running on SSL and Kerberos.
   2. HiveServer2 running on SSL and Kerberos.
   3. Hive Metastore (mysql) runs only SSL.

Web Ui has the following configurations:

Service name : hive

Active status: enabled
Username: admin
Password: ***

Extra configurations:

hive.site.file.path: /etc/hive/conf/hive-site.xml
policy.auth.download.users: hive
tag.auth.download.users:hive
enable.hive.metastore.lookup: true

However when ranger tries to connect to Hive Metastore when using auto
suggest while creating policies we get the following error:

SASL negotiation failure. No common protection layer between client and
server.

Re: ranger fails to connect with hive metastore

Posted by Taher Koitawala <ta...@gslab.com>.
Can you please share the whole exception?

Posted by Sanket Gaykar <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ramesh,

Thanks for reply.

Yes, auto lookup is not a compulsory for hive plugin to work, it's an
additional part. Hive plugin is able to fetch policies from ranger.
We'll definitely try with 2 way ssl and let you know. Just another little
doubt was that we are using 1 way ssl between ranger-admin and ranger-db
and that works fine. Is 2 way ssl must for auto lookup to work ?

From: Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>>
Date: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 4:36 AM
To: "user@ranger.apache.org<ma...@ranger.apache.org>" <us...@ranger.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: ranger fails to connect with hive metastore