Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Adam Hardy <ad...@cyberspaceroad.com> on 2006/01/22 14:32:39 UTC

[beanutils] svn update

I'm having trouble updating the source from svn. Searched the website
and the mail archives but still stumped.

I tried this:

adam@gondor:/home/java/commons-beanutils/trunk$ svn up
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/beanutils/trunk
svn: 'http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/beanutils'
is not a working copy

Which directory on my hard drive do I need to be in, and is that URL
correct for an update?

Thanks
Adam

Re: [beanutils] svn update

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Wendy Smoak on 22/01/06 15:13, wrote:
> On 1/22/06, Adam Hardy <ad...@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
>

>>adam@gondor:/home/java/commons-beanutils/trunk$ svn up
>>http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/beanutils/trunk
>>svn: 'http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/beanutils'
>>is not a working copy
>>
>>Which directory on my hard drive do I need to be in, and is that URL
>>correct for an update?
>

> What you name the directory on your side doesn't matter.  (I always
> leave off the 'trunk' part.  Sometimes I do a fresh checkout into
> project-temp to make sure build changes work, and then delete it.)
>
> This page (under Project Info on the menu)
>    http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/beanutils/cvs-usage.html
> gives the correct URL, which is
>    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/beanutils/trunk
>
> $ svn info
>    will tell you what URL your Subversion client thinks is associated
> with a directory.

Thanks for the help Wendy.

I realise now that it was just a bad case of svn newby-itus. There was
actually nothing new in the repo for me to be updated with.

svn returns the status msg: 'At revision 371349' when I execute it
correctly. I thought I was using it wrong, when in fact that is exactly
what it is meant to do when it's all up to date with nothing to change.

regards
Adam

Re: [beanutils] svn update

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 1/22/06, Adam Hardy <ad...@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:

> adam@gondor:/home/java/commons-beanutils/trunk$ svn up
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/beanutils/trunk
> svn: 'http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/beanutils'
> is not a working copy
>
> Which directory on my hard drive do I need to be in, and is that URL
> correct for an update?

What you name the directory on your side doesn't matter.  (I always
leave off the 'trunk' part.  Sometimes I do a fresh checkout into
project-temp to make sure build changes work, and then delete it.)

This page (under Project Info on the menu)
   http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/beanutils/cvs-usage.html
gives the correct URL, which is
   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/beanutils/trunk

$ svn info
   will tell you what URL your Subversion client thinks is associated
with a directory.

If you can't find a local directory associated with the correct URL,
then I would just delete beanutils and check it out again.  Assuming
you don't have a bunch of local changes, that is. :)  If you do, I
think there's a way to switch the repository URL for a given working
copy.

(Follow up on commons-dev if you need more help building the project.)

--
Wendy