Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org> on 2013/04/01 10:26:58 UTC

Re: Backup and restore doubts

2013/3/29 Joaquin Angel Alonso Alvarez <ja...@izertis.com>

>  Hi there,****
>
> ** **
>
> If for whatever reason one of the virtual routers VM is destroyed,
> Cloudstack will restart it again with all the rules intact? Are the virtual
> router configurations saved on the DB so if I restore a previous copy of
> the DB the VR is back with the rules at that point?

Yes, rules will be intact and they are stored in the DB. Provided your
physical deployment, routes, IPs, hosts, etc. are there as in the DB that
would work.

> ****
>
> Same with the customer instances, are the configurations saved onto the DB
> and is it possible to restore a backup and then apply the snapshots to get
> the VM on a previous state?

Yes, that could work but I know ten ways why and how that would fail. I
know people who have been doing a lot of recovery by
directly manipulating the database which works for them but it's not
advised.

> I´ve notice that if I create a VM from the hypervisor CS will delete it,
> so I suppose if the VM details are on the DB and the VM is recovered from a
> backup will not be deleted, is that right?

Not sure, but if you a backup image, import it as a template and deploy
using it.

Cheers.