Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Wyatt Barnett <wy...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/06 08:58:06 UTC

Re: Proposal Stage: PR/Marketing/Branding

Some ideas to pursue:

1) Get lucene into nuget. Given nuget has Microsoft's weight behind
it, it is going to become the defacto way people find .NET libraries.
This is relatively simple -- pretty much packaging the binaries with
an xml file. We could the current release in there today, and follow
with 2.9.2 when we get it nice and official-like.

2) Build some approachable getting started guides. In all honesty, the
only "how do I start using Lucene" stuff I found when I started using
lucene six or so months ago was in Simone Chiaretta's blog plus the
subtext source. This could perhaps include some DimeCasts.NET style
stuff.

Hope this helps.

Posted by Michael Herndon <mh...@o19s.com>.
Most likely someone needed it for an external dependency or the nuget team
itself put it out to seed nuget.

But it does help for the short term having one already in place versus
trying to run out and creating a package when lucene.net has just moved back
into incubation and there are many things in flux that would most likely
affect how lucene is packaged into Nuget in the future.

It would also be nice to have the basic site setup with a few tutorials and
samples setup, before the official package is created and released.  That
way people wondering what the library actually is can find out and see
example code.  An example of this http://www.simpleaspects.com

Personally, I still wouldn't probably use the snap library, however, I
applaud them,  They've done a nice job putting out a branded site that tells
you what the library is, where to get the source, wiki, etc. And it doesn't
leave you with that "WTF is this?" feeling.

Not to mention having sample projects / code would come in handy for
providing a separate nuget package that has sample code someone can use
pull/install and use to prototype something out or explore.

This way when we do put out a nuget package, its complete & stable.

Posted by Wyatt Barnett <wy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Herndon <mh...@o19s.com>.

Posted by "Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]" <ca...@caspershouse.com>.