Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Diego Castillo <di...@inexbee.com> on 2003/07/04 15:05:37 UTC

Forking high loaded servlet

Hi all,

I have a servlet that receives a heavy load. I would like to process
multiple requests in parallel in order to increase throughput.

Tomcat creates one single instance of the servlet. This is right
according to servlet specification paragraph 3.2, but it does not suit
my needs.

I have tried extending SingleThreadModel and Tomcat does create multiple
instances, but I get the exact same throughput.

I have also tried launching a new thread for handling HttpServletRequest
& HttpServletResponse, but as soon as the servlet exits service(), the
response output stream gets closed by Tomcat.

Is there any spec compliant strategy to increase the number of requests
per second that a servlet can handle?

Thanks in advance,

Diego

Re: Forking high loaded servlet

Posted by Antonio Fiol Bonnín <fi...@terra.es>.
I completely agree with Sergio, but do not forget about code
optimization, query optimization, database index optimization, ...

It is difficult to say where your bottleneck is but, in most cases I
have seen, correcting an SQL query which is not doing the exact right
thing or adding a few indexes on the right columns on your database may
easily achive a 1:7 performance factor.

For example, a typical mistake I have seen concerning this:

// Issue a select query that will output about 1000 result rows
int rownum = 0;
while(result.next() && (rownum++ < 5)) {
    // read a row and do something
}

You could easily add a "and rownum <= 5" to your SQL and you would save:
- database processing time
- network transmit time between DB and appserver
- Java resultset building time

That is only a fairly trivial example, of course, but I have seen it
quite a few times. And I have even seen worse...

As this is fairly off-topic, if you need more help, do not hesitate to
contact me off-list.

Yours,

Antonio Fiol

Posted by Diego Castillo <di...@inexbee.com>.
Hi Rodrigo,

My objective is developing an HTTP proxy that receives a request,
applies some business logic on it (analysis + modifications), and
forwards the result to another host. When the final host responds to the
modified request, the response is forwarded to the original client:

  +--------+ Request 1 +-------+ Request 2 +------+
  | Client | <-------> | Proxy | <-------> | Host |
  +--------+  Reply 1  +-------+  Reply 2  +------+

The proxy itself does not spend a long time analyzing and forwarding the
request, but the final host may do. The proxy needs to continue
forwarding requests while waiting for the final host to respond.

I am evaluating the feasibility of the proxy as a servlet that uses
Commons HttpClient for forwarding the requests. If performance tests are
not satisfactory, I will consider developing a CGI or even an Apache
module.

Hope this helps understand my requirement for a multithreaded servlet.

Regards,

Diego

Posted by Rodrigo Ruiz <rr...@gridsystems.com>.
Depending on the kind of request you are trying to accelerate, you could
also do some caching in the response.
Depending on what the servlet is intended to do, the strategies to apply can
vary a lot.
A description of the servlet execution would allow people to help you better
:)

Regards,
Rodrigo Ruiz

Posted by Sergio Juan <sj...@gridsystems.com>.