Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com> on 2012/03/24 00:43:56 UTC

Heads up wrt last upgrade-able version on 0.23

Hey gang,

I filed HDFS-3137 so that the 0.23 releases would only support
upgrades from Hadoop version 0.18 or later.  People on versions before
0.18 (don't think there are many, if any, people running these) would
have to upgrade to a version like 1.0 and then upgrade again from
there if they wanted to move to 0.23.  I think that should be fine but
wanted to call it out here, give people an opportunity to chime in on
the jira.

The motivation is that I'd like to do some HDFS cleanup to enable
another change that would break v0.17 and earlier.

Thanks,
Eli

Re: Heads up wrt last upgrade-able version on 0.23

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
I am +1 on this. I have been meaning to do this. We can discuss the details on Jira.

Sent from phone

Posted by Tsz Wo Sze <sz...@yahoo.com>.
+1

Nicholas

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Seems reasonable to me. I haven't seen anyone running versions <0.18.3
in the last 2-3 years, and given the growth in Hadoop usage, I'd say
95+% of the user community didn't even start using Hadoop until
0.20.x. 0.18 seems like a reasonable (and still conservative) cut-off
point.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon