Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Francesco Maria Magnini <fm...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/04 16:53:15 UTC

Storage/Console SSVM loose connectivity (can't ping them anymore) after creating the first guest instance

I'm experiencing problems in Cloudstack 4.2 installation on both Ubuntu
Server 12.04 and 13.10.

   - Installed Cloudstack Management Controller and a KVM host in two
   separate boxes
   - Cloudstack installations went fine
   - Created a basic networking zone, all is green, storage ok, vvms ok

At this point, I'm able to ping physical hosts, Storage and Proxy SSVM
public IP Address.

   - Created instance with basic template of CentOS, fine
   - Automatically created System Router

At this point I'm still able to ping physical hosts, but no longer Storage
SSMV, Proxy SSVM and the CentOS instance created a while ago.

No errors, all is green, all processes running fine, just connectivity
issue on the public network side of Proxy/Storage VVMS and Instances.

*IMPORTANT* I've configured Cloudstack in CentOS enviroment before testing
Ubuntu Server, with both Basic and Advanced Networking (VLAN separation)
without problems.

Security group is already configured with ICMP/SSH rules for inbound.

Any ideas? Thanks

Re: Storage/Console SSVM loose connectivity (can't ping them anymore) after creating the first guest instance

Posted by Francesco Maria Magnini <fm...@gmail.com>.
Below you can find the network scenario

- Basic Networking Zone
- Management Controller (Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS): 10.77.0.11
- KVM Host (Ubuntu Server 13.10, same issue in Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS):
10.77.0.21
- POD IP Range: 10.77.0.41 - 10.77.0.60
- Guest Network: 10.77.0.61 - 10.77.0.80
- Router serving Cloudstack LAN: 10.77.0.1

- Console Proxy VM: public 10.77.0.62, private 10.77.0.57, link-local
169.254.1.168
- Secondary Storage VM: public 10.77.0.61, private 10.77.0.42, link-local
169.254.2.233
- Instance01 VM: 10.77.0.63
- Virtual Router VM: 10.77.0.64, link-local 169.254.2.165

KVM Host Networking (one NIC only, as tested with CentOS)

lo        inet:127.0.0.1  Maschera:255.0.0.0
cloud0    inet:169.254.0.1  Bcast:169.254.255.255  Maschera:255.255.0.0
cloudbr0  inet:10.77.0.21  Bcast:10.77.0.255  Maschera:255.255.255.0
virbr0    inet:192.168.122.1  Bcast:192.168.122.255  Maschera:255.255.255.0
eth0      -
vnet0     -
vnet1     -
vnet2     -
vnet3     -
vnet4     -
vnet5     -
vnet6     -

TEST 1

Pinging from router (10.77.0.1) the Console Proxy VM Public IP 10.77.0.62:
*** KO ***

- TCPUDUMP on KVM Host, ICMP reaching KVM HOST, seeing ICMP requests
passing through physical eth0 and bridge cloudbr0
- TCPDUMP on Console Proxy VM (connecting with virsh console from KVM Host)
shows no packets coming on any interface

Pinging from KVM Host (10.77.0.21) the Console Proxy VM Public IP 10.77.0.62:
*** OK ***

Basically tests show that ICMP coming from outside KVM Host are blocked,
pinging the SSVM from inside the KVM Host is ok.

Posted by Shanker Balan <sh...@shapeblue.com>.
Comments inline.

> [...]

>> company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a
>> company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue
>> Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil
>> and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a
>> registered trademark.
>>

> --
> “I videogiochi non influenzano i bambini.
> Voglio dire, se pac-man avesse influenzato la nostra generazione,
> staremmo tutti saltando in sale scure,
> masticando pillole magiche e ascoltando musica elettronica
> ripetitiva...”
>
> (Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989)

--
@shankerbalan

M: +91 98860 60539 | O: +91 (80) 67935867
ShapeBlue Services India LLP, 22nd floor, Unit 2201A, World Trade Centre, Bangalore - 560 055

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: Storage/Console SSVM loose connectivity (can't ping them anymore) after creating the first guest instance

Posted by Francesco Maria Magnini <fm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shanker Balan <sh...@shapeblue.com>.
Comments inline.

Posted by Francesco Maria Magnini <fm...@gmail.com>.
I know.

Posted by Shanker Balan <sh...@shapeblue.com>.

Posted by Francesco Maria Magnini <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
below you can find the iptables rules and the bridge configuration.

Anyway, what I see is that ICMP request are reaching the KVM host, but
opening a virsh console to the guest shows no ICMP packets coming from
public network.

root@kvm01:~# ufw status
root@kvm01:~#
root@kvm01:~#
root@kvm01:~#
root@kvm01:~#
root@kvm01:~# brctl show
bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
cloud0 8000.fe00a9fe01a8 no vnet0
vnet4
cloudbr0 8000.0019995a73ac no eth0
vnet1
 vnet2
vnet3
vnet5
vnet6
virbr0 8000.000000000000 yes

root@kvm01:~# iptables -L -n
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     udp  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            udp dpt:53
ACCEPT     tcp  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            tcp dpt:53
ACCEPT     udp  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            udp dpt:67
ACCEPT     tcp  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            tcp dpt:67

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
BF-cloudbr0  all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            PHYSDEV
match --physdev-is-bridged
BF-cloudbr0  all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            PHYSDEV
match --physdev-is-bridged
DROP       all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
DROP       all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
ACCEPT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            192.168.122.0/24     ctstate
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.122.0/24     0.0.0.0/0
ACCEPT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
REJECT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            reject-with
icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            reject-with
icmp-port-unreachable

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain BF-cloudbr0 (2 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
BF-cloudbr0-IN  all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            PHYSDEV
match --physdev-is-in --physdev-is-bridged
BF-cloudbr0-OUT  all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            PHYSDEV
match --physdev-is-out --physdev-is-bridged
ACCEPT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            PHYSDEV match
--physdev-out eth0 --physdev-is-bridged

Chain BF-cloudbr0-IN (1 references)

Chain BF-cloudbr0-OUT (1 references)
root@kvm01:~#

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 6:23 AM, Sanjeev Neelarapu <