Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Mithun RK <my...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/16 18:28:18 UTC

Hive/ODBC, Tableau Server, and Kerberos auth

Hello, chaps.

I have a silly question regarding using Tableau Server with Hive/ODBC:

As far as I know, the Hive ODBC (Simba) drivers provide no way to use a
keytab to automatically kinit before attempting an HS2 connection. What is
the recommended way for a user running Tableau Server to automatically
refresh a report running on HS2? (I mean, short of running kinit off the
keytab first, or running kinit in a cronjob.)

How does the user ensure that a valid Kerberos ticket is presented on the
refresh?

Mithun

RE: Hive/ODBC, Tableau Server, and Kerberos auth

Posted by Shawn Weeks <sw...@weeksconsulting.us>.
In my company the Windows Servers aren’t part of the same domain as the Hadoop Servers so we’ve been using Apache Knox to enable username/password auth to an Kerberos enabled Hive instance. This has been tested with the Hortonworks HDP 2.6.5 distribution of Hive and Tableau.

Thanks
Shawn

Posted by Suresh Kumar Sethuramaswamy <ro...@gmail.com>.
Did you try making a cron entry of kinit off keytab?

It should work.