Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Fréderic Cox <co...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/23 09:05:21 UTC

Activate events on application

Can anyone with some expertise regarding transparent Adobe AIR applications
have a look at this issue?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23225425/adobe-air-application-activated-incorrectly

I'm thinking this is more of an AIR issue than it would be a Flex issue but
I know there are some experts on this mailing list so this is why I'm here
to ask for help.

Anyone know of the specific reasons an AIR app will be activated (dispatch
applicationActivate event) by the OS? When clicking in a transparent area it
should not be activated IIRC.

Re: Activate events on application

Posted by Peter Ginneberge <p....@gmail.com>.
In that case you can still go for the workflow I described. I'm doing exactly
that with two applications I'm working on.

For the sidebar, you could dynamically resize it depending on its state.
Again, I'm doing exactly that with 2 apps which both have a notifications
system. The notification window's height is set dynamically, depending on the
number of notifications.
Use a WindowManager to control the layout (position, size, etc..) of all the
windows, save positions in a SharedObject so you can restore the application
state when the app is (re)started, etc..

regards,
Peter

Posted by Peter Ginneberge <p....@gmail.com>.
Is there a specific reason your application is sized to 100% of the user's
screen? From what I understand you have the main application fill the whole
screen but only a small portion (search box) is visible. If that is the case,
start your main app minimized and remove it from the taskbar (visible=false)
and have it launch a new (customized) Window (mx.core.Window). This new Window
will be your search box with minimal dimensions that you can then move to the
location you want.

regards,
Peter

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
If you have time, run a test with an ActionScript-only project (no Flex
code).

It could be that Flex is still drawing something.  But it is unclear from
the doc snippet what "fully transparent" means.  It could still mean that
you didn't draw anything vs drew something with alpha=0

Posted by Lee Burrows <su...@leeburrows.com>.
Don't know if it will work but have you tried manually dispatching a
DEACTIVATE event?

On 23/04/2014 17:58, Fréderic Cox wrote:
> If I could somehow "deactivate" my application when it is activated

--
Lee Burrows
ActionScripter

Re: Activate events on application

Posted by Fréderic Cox <co...@gmail.com>.
That is my guess too Alex. However in the docs it is stated:

Important: On Linux, mouse events do not pass through fully transparent
pixels. You should avoid creating windows with large, fully transparent
areas since you may invisibly block the user’s access to other windows or

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
If you have drawn pixels of alpha=0 then I wouldn't be surprised if those
pixels pick up mouse events.