Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2003/02/05 23:38:20 UTC

Re: [DRAFT1] Jakarta Newsletter - August 2002

(here's some bits and pieces from the commons.)

Jakarta Commons

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=104376872026090&w=2

Jexl
----

Jexl was promoted from the Sandbox to the Commons this month.

Jexl is a java expression language designed for easy embedding in
applications and frameworks. It is an extension of the Expression Language
of the JSTL (JSP Standard Tag Library). The motivation was to bring some
of lessons learned by the Jakarta Velocity community about expression
languages in templating to a wider audience.

Those people familiar with Jelly will recognize this as the expression
language used by Jelly.

BeanUtils
---------

Finally the promised 1.6 release!

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=104319227016196&w=2

This fixes a lot of bugs and rolls up the extra features add over the last
few months. Unfortunately, some changes in this release effected some code
used in maven and jelly. So expect a 1.6.1 release very soon.

Digester
--------

The long awaited Digester 1.4 was released this month.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=104430587104335&w=2

This fixes several bugs but also has some important changes to the Rule
interface that allow more sophisticated namespace-aware rules.

Betwixt
-------

At last betwixt has a release - but it's only an alpha. There a lot o
features on the to do list but first must come some internal refactoring.
So, this is an alpha release since the internal API may need to change but
hopefully the disruption to most users can be kept to a minimum.

On a more light hearted note, it appears that betwixt now has some more
competition:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=104369586610737&w=2

Jelly
-----

Another busy month!

Jelly has been successfully split into tag libraries and core:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=104296001908752&w=2

Release issues have been resolved one by one:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=104353140304195&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=104335501905419
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=104153070819002&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=104101557728040&w=2

It's a long road but the end is now in sight.