Posted to user@spark.apache.org by jimitkr <ji...@softpath.net> on 2016/01/24 21:11:12 UTC

Spark master takes more time with local[8] than local[1]

Hi All,

I have a machine with the following configuration:
32 GB RAM
500 GB HDD
8 CPUs

Following are the parameters i'm starting my Spark context with:

val conf = new
SparkConf().setAppName("MasterApp").setMaster("local[1]").set("spark.executor.memory",
"20g")

I'm reading a 4.3 GB file and counting the no. of characters in it.

When i run my program with:
local[1], the count is returned in 1.8 minutes
local[8], the count is returned in 4.2 minutes

Both the times, Spark uses Storage Memory of 3.7 GB.

Why would my program take more time with local[8]?

Re: Spark master takes more time with local[8] than local[1]

Posted by nsalian <ns...@cloudera.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for the question.
Is it possible for you to elaborate on your application?
The flow of the application will help to understand what could potentially
cause things to slow down?

Do logs give you any idea what goes on? Have you had a chance to look?

Thank you.

-----
Neelesh S. Salian
Cloudera

Re: Spark master takes more time with local[8] than local[1]

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
bq. I'm reading a 4.3 GB file

The contents of the file can be held in one executor.

Can you try files with much larger size ?

Cheers