Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/03/02 01:22:18 UTC

Socket logging (was RE: Hierarchy.java)

Steven and Peter,

Thanks for the explanations.

I'll have look at SocketTargetFactory.  I haven't done it, but I assume that
there is no problem muxing logs, so that I can have my separate log files,
and a merged logger that writes to a local socket.  Doing that would allow
me to use a socket reader with tail, such as:

  socketread --port=localhost:xxxx | tail -n 0 -f - <file list>

I might be able to modify dog to be the socket reader, otherwise it isn't
overly challenging to code one.

Alternatively, perhaps Peter would post up his "dodgy syslog-like server."

-----------------------------

OK, I've been looking at the source for SocketOutputTarget.  There appears
to be an issue.  The constructor attempts to bind the socket.  A socket
listener may not be available, or always available.  Seems to me that the
class should be (re-)binding as necessary when logging the data.

Comments?

	--- Noel

Re: Socket logging (was RE: Hierarchy.java)

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 11:22, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Alternatively, perhaps Peter would post up his "dodgy syslog-like server."

will try to in next bit.

> OK, I've been looking at the source for SocketOutputTarget.  There appears
> to be an issue.  The constructor attempts to bind the socket.  A socket
> listener may not be available, or always available.  Seems to me that the
> class should be (re-)binding as necessary when logging the data.
>
> Comments?

In hindsigh maybe that would have been a good idea. But for backwards
compatability reasons I would prefer a new RebindingSocketTarget or similar.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald